Gas Tank Filling Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danihound

Reaction score
Hi, i have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Kj, and im having trouble filling up my gas tank, first when i put the gas hose into the filler it puts 1-2 liters and then stop, in order to continue i need to do it manually and then it keeps filling up but before it reachs full it stop again and if you try to continue manually it spits back the gasoline.

so what could be the problem? i guess the tank is indeed filing up but the gauge is not reading correctly but then theres the filling problem after 1-2 liters.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score

have a look at this

Paul maloney

Reaction score
Hi, i have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Kj, and im having trouble filling up my gas tank, first when i put the gas hose into the filler it puts 1-2 liters and then stop, in order to continue i need to do it manually and then it keeps filling up but before it reachs full it stop again and if you try to continue manually it spits back the gasoline.

so what could be the problem? i guess the tank is indeed filing up but the gauge is not reading correctly but then theres the filling problem after 1-2 liters.

Paul maloney

Reaction score
Hi, have had the same problem with my KJ, when it happens just turn the nozzle around a little until flows. I think it has something to do with the shape of filler tube. I hope it works for you.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also using ethanol free gas if available helps. The ethanol makes the seal on the flapper swell iirc.

JeepLegend

Kj Legend
Reaction score
Do you drive in dusty conditions?
If so I recommend replacing your purge valve solenoid, vent valve, and charcoal canister. Also **** out all lime when disconnected. As dust gets in there and plugs everything up making it hard to fill up.
If you don't drive in dusty conditions. I would just replace the charcoal canister. If fuel get in there it will destroy it from the inside. This happens when people keep clicking away and over fill the gas tank.

DHBirren2

Reaction score

I've never had this problem with my wife's '03 Liberty, but it sometimes happens with my '07 Compass at some gas stations. Whenever it happens, I turn the nozzle's handle 90° CCW and hold it till it shuts off automatically. I wonder if a similar action will work for you.

Latest posts

Members online