gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my old motor I was averaging 17.9-18.1 mpg in my 04. That is a mix of highway and city driving. Highway I was getting 22. I'm waiting to get my Jeep back from getting a new motor put in so I don't know what my new motor gets yet.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Man thats a wide open question, give three people the very same vehicle tell them to drive the same route and then compare. I'd be willing to bet you'd have 3 completely different Miles per gallon over a wide margin.
Not only the way people drive, but also condition of the vehicle, tire size and tread pattern, many things come into play.
I know some of my friends get 15-16 while I get 21-22 and I'm heavier.
So maybe someone has a magic calculator but ?????
How many are you getting from yours ?

jeepingirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man thats a wide open question, give three people the very same vehicle tell them to drive the same route and then compare. I'd be willing to bet you'd have 3 completely different Miles per gallon over a wide margin.
Not only the way people drive, but also condition of the vehicle, tire size and tread pattern, many things come into play.
I know some of my friends get 15-16 while I get 21-22 and I'm heavier.
So maybe someone has a magic calculator but ?????
How many are you getting from yours ?

I was getting 14 city driving but the last 2 fill ups it was 17. And about 22 highway

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
City driving the past 2 tanks I've gotten about 210 miles the first and 235 the next tank (ran until the gas light came on). So about 10-11mpg or so. I drive like a grandpa too. I used to get about 16-18mpg just driving to and from work but the past 2 months or so it's been bad. I got 20mpg last summer all highway when I drove to Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't watch my gas mileage I just drive it and have fun, but I also keep it very well maintained and still brake things on her. It ain't no fun if you don't use it.

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting 13.2 on a city/highway and I ran two cans of sea foam, first one in a 1/4 full tank, and the second one in a 3/4 full tank, and now my mileage actually went up to a 17-17.5 avg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Right now I'm at about 15-16 mixed. Probably about 50/50 hiway/city. I've got 245/70/16s on it so I think it's okay. Actually better the past couple weeks after the new HGs. When I was running mostly highway about two years ago I was getting about 18. I try to run some Techron Conc Plus through it a few times a year. I doubt there is much of a difference between years but definitely depends on how you drive. I sort of drive like an old man these days.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I was getting 14 city driving but the last 2 fill ups it was 17. And about 22 highway

That recent increase might be due to the switchover from winter gas (crummy mpg) to summer gas (worth about 3 or 4 mpg). Overall, you might be just a tad below average, with "a tad" being defined as 1 or 2 mpg. Like Tom mentioned, we all have our own driving style, varying road conditions, etc, so average is more of a range than a specific number. :)

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2WD so this does make a bit of an impact though I average any where from 21-25 mpg's and I don't joke either. I get roughly 400 or more out of a tank when I drive to and from work and its mostly on the interstate very little stop and go traffic.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am beginning to wonder if we all had new spark plugs, air filter, pcv and invested in having a dealer emission service (pro chemicals) to clean the injectors etc....
If we could not bump up substantially the fuel economy on the Liberty.
All I know is lifted, Rola basket, full skids etc...The best I could do at 60-70 mph was 15mpg. ( I run non ethanol) 94 octane to boot...gas here is now over $6.50 gallon !!
(beside weight with normal tires non geared) Are the injectors responsible for poor fuel economy in our rigs?

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^Not sure if that professional intake/injector cleaning the garages offer is any good? (they use BG around here) Seems mine got better mpg when it was new, but that also was before the lift/AT tires. (mine came stock with those POS Goodyear HP slick good-for-nothing tread car tires that roll so easy they slide all over the place as soon as they see a rain drop)

I think it is mostly the 4,200+ pounds of weight of the pig and less aerodynamic shape (unlike a car). The KJ is a heavy 4x4 and made to get you places a car won't and back too. That's what I bought, so I don't worry about it anymore. It gets what it gets. It's a Jeep and I would rather drive the Jeep than a car..

Anyway, as soon as they switch to "summer gas" there will be a sleight improvement maybe.

Just my thoughts.

Dave

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Driving style plays into mileage in a big way too - let's not forget the human element.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2WD so this does make a bit of an impact though I average any where from 21-25 mpg's and I don't joke either. I get roughly 400 or more out of a tank when I drive to and from work and its mostly on the interstate very little stop and go traffic.

I'm jealous. I get about 215 roughly per 20 gallon tank. (When I let it run till the light comes on that is. Which is rare)

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember for those who have larger then stock tires that if you have not adjusted your speedometer, that your mpg is actually higher than what you think because you are traveling more miles.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm jealous. I get about 215 roughly per 20 gallon tank. (When I let it run till the light comes on that is. Which is rare)

I used to drive Rig for a bit so I'm really uptight on gear shifting as well, I shift religiously at 2500 rpms and I have a six speed, also helps out when running on the streets popping up to a higher gear. Only time I shift higher than 2500 is getting onto 35/80 south from Hickman since its an uphill battle and then I go no higher than 3000 on the shift. Took me a couple months of experimenting to get maximized fuel economy in shifting gears but I've found the perfect timing.