Gas filler splashing back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's been talked about but it seems like there is no consensus. One person bought a GM filler and cut out the valve to place in the Jeep pipe. I would like to see several say this fixes it before going to the expense and trouble. Sorry to beat a dead horse (deadhorse) but our (new to us) 2005 Liberty Renegade spits back bad. I have been soaked with gas - not funny.
So I take it, other than this one guy's fix, there is no other solution that anybody has tried that worked? It sounds like many folks are experiencing this, I sure thought there would be more people talking about a guaranteed solution...
Mark

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just slow down the pump when I get close to what I think it'll take to fill it, then I don't spray gas everywhere. Especially at Sam's Club, which uses the super-fast pumps.

Haven't spilled a drop since I started doing that, though it is frustrating.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never had it happen on any I have owned or driven , didn't think it was that big of a deal

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a real solution. Your slowing down the pump when you THINK it's close is not a sure enough thing for me. My daughter is driving it - makes me a nervous dad. I put my ear down and could tell when the gas entered the pipe from that sound we all recognize and stopped it immediately and it still spit back... Just not repeatable enough for me. I am ready to hear any and all solutions - especially one that multiple people have tried with success.
Thanks for the feedback,
Mark

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
^^

Happens to me just like above. I've been as careful as I can and have largely avoided any actual overflow for the most part. The drawback is that I often don't get the tank completely full either.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I mean I slow the pump down when I think I'm within 2 gals of filling the tank.

IE, gauge is at ½. So I slow down the pump when I'm at 8, 8½ gals. I get a full tank and I don't get splashed.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could prob do that but not my wife, daughter, boy friends, gas station attendants when I am over in Jersey.... Just too much to go wrong. Can't depend on people being careful and calculating right. And if anyone gets it wrong the downside is too dangerous. Dealing with gas is nothing I want to chance.
I am going to check out the vent hose and make sure it is clear. Than I will go get that GW hose everyone is talking about and install that valve inside my hose. I will let everyone know how it works. It should be real easy to verify since this baby sends up cup-full out at you every time unless you stand there and dribble it full.
Thanks everyone for weighing in,
Mark

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's been talked about but it seems like there is no consensus. One person bought a GM filler and cut out the valve to place in the Jeep pipe. I would like to see several say this fixes it before going to the expense and trouble. Sorry to beat a dead horse (deadhorse) but our (new to us) 2005 Liberty Renegade spits back bad. I have been soaked with gas - not funny.
So I take it, other than this one guy's fix, there is no other solution that anybody has tried that worked? It sounds like many folks are experiencing this, I sure thought there would be more people talking about a guaranteed solution...
Mark
Works for TJ's but can't do it on a KJ.Either fill slower or buy a new gas tank as that "roll over check valve" is part of the gas tank in a KJ.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the hose is too short for a KJ. I have just read a few that made it work on a KJ by cutting the GM valve out of the GM hose and placing it up into the KJ hose.
I will let you know how it turns out.
Mark

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the hose is too short for a KJ. I have just read a few that made it work on a KJ by cutting the GM valve out of the GM hose and placing it up into the KJ hose.
I will let you know how it turns out.
Mark
Not going to make any difference like stated since the valve on the KJ is part of the actual gas tank,not the hose.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This issue covers a wide range of Chrysler and Jeep models. There is a TSB out on it: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM18279902/INRD-PE10032-45586P.pdf
Only certain Wrangler years got a recall out of it. Since the check valve at the tank isn't closing, apparently some have experimented with putting an in-line check valve on the filler hose, as mentioned earlier with using the GM valve. I don't have this problem (the Liberty's affected are the 05-09's) but curious if someone has a write up on this retro-fit with the results.

Last edited:

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have the same thing happening to me as well. '05 libby. A how-to would be awesome

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not going to make any difference like stated since the valve on the KJ is part of the actual gas tank,not the hose.

I don't think it matters where the non-working valve is as long as the one that does work (GM) is above it and stops the gas.
Mark

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I have only had my 05 KJ a short time and have only filled it once, but the one time I did fill it up, gas blew everywhere. I assumed it was a faulty hose at the gas station, until I saw this thread.

ivantate

Reaction score
My missus manages to stop when she can hear it getting full. I on the other hand get petrol everywhere.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Filled up tonight. Since I'm half deaf (really) and the wind was blowing I stopped filling at the first gurgle. Ended up with only 7/8 of a tank full. Better than 9/8 of a tank full I suppose... :shrug:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny mine has never done this nor does the 06 that I got for my Step Father. I filled it up over the weekend and it shut off like it was suppose to as well.
So are there certain years, certain things you all are doing to them.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not doing anything to it. I'm also not one of those who squeezes the handle four or five times to "really" fill it. I get splashback about one time in four and that is even after being very careful. :shrug: