Fuse8 blows on 2.8CRD HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horsetrailer

Reaction score
Fuse 8 in the Power Distribution Center, called Starter Motor, blows now and then making the engine impossible to start. Have towed to jeep worskhop and they can not find any fault, replace the fuse and everything works for a while. Can anyone give som ideas? Starter Motor? Starter Motor Relay? Igintion Switch or are the more gadgets fed by F8???
Very greatful for any good advice!!!!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should have posted this in the CRD section...

I don't think i have a FSM that covers the CRD version so i can't tell you for sure what that fuse all has on it. Your talking one of the large fuses in the underhood fuse panel or a fuse in the interior fuse panel?

Since the starter doesnt have a fuse inline for the power to the motor, the best i can figure is maybe a solenoid going bad and pulling too much current?

horsetrailer

Reaction score
Yes it one of the sqaure long fuses under the hood. Your are right maybe its the solenoid that is supplied from it, it is a 40 A fuse. I mght have to look at the starter solenoid. Wherever that can be found in a crowed engine compartment

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it one of the sqaure long fuses under the hood. Your are right maybe its the solenoid that is supplied from it, it is a 40 A fuse. I mght have to look at the starter solenoid. Wherever that can be found in a crowed engine compartment

The solenoid is on the starter, so down on the back end of the motor, not sure on the CRD if its left or right side of the block.

I looked and the FSM i have just covers the gas engines, hmm, didn't know there was a seperate CRD version, or i'm not looking at the right one yet. If it doesnt always do it i would suspect a solenoid or starter problem. About the only other thing i would try is to remove the 40a fuse and put an ammeter in place of the fuse and start it a few times to see how many amps are being pulled, it might just be its really close to 40a and ends up going over now and then due to a failing solenoid.

horsetrailer

Reaction score
There is about 100 amps on the meter when replacing the fuse. The cable from the fuse via relay to the starter solenoid seems ok, as far as I can see it, so I guess i need to replace the solenoid. Thanks for the help

flyboy

Reaction score
Gidday from down under Horsetrailer,dont know if this is any help but my old 1998 2.5 XJ T.Diesel Cherokee kept on blowing the 40 amp fuse also.Found the wiring from the starter motor had,over time,been cutting into by the steel clamp that secures the wiring to the starter motor.Bad installation by the mechanic that replaced the starter motor earlier.