Fumoto oil drain valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminium oil pan, steel drain plug means minimum effort to strip the threads from the pan. 25lb-ft only for the drain plug. You can do that with ease by hand. The 3.7 shows to be steel, not aluminum like the CRD.

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im all about time is money. We make commision so the faster we work the more we make...

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i do own a gasser, i was unaware that the crd used an aluminum oil pan, so yes i would agree that it is easier to strip the threads, but i still say that overtightening is a result of inexperience, i would rather replace the oil pan with a steel one if they are available because i would say that is a poor design, aluminum displays what is called elastic creep deformation which basically translates to the threads weakening over time, and TBH i would now consider something like the drain valve a potential fix for the problem, or a fredsert if you could get one: Fredsert,Threaded, Insert, Fastener, Rosan,Keensert,Helicoil,appurtenance,break-away,galvanic, corrosion-resistance,proud ,self-locating,weld boss so all in all i would like to declare that i am not insulting anyone who would choose to use a valve but i would look for a different option first.

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several folks have had to use threaded inserts until the valve came into the picture. The valve is much easier to use and you never have to thread anthing into the oilpan again. Yes we CRD owners understand thread creep and many other things about the CRD. In the CRD section we are pretty good around our Jeeps and share our ideas and thoughts openly.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one on my Subaru WRX for 10 plus YEARS and no failures of any kind. The idea of more moving parts, more problems is silly coming from people that mod the crap out of their Jeeps. By the way, your oil lubricates the ball valve and there small lever has to be pushed up and then turned to open.

I liked mine because I could drain the oil while the engine was super hot. As for the time is money thing, I do not have mechanics change my oil because I am competent enough to do it myself and I am very particular about what oil and filter I use. When the oil is hot it drains really fast. Cool oil drains slow. Out of curiosity, I took it off once to see if any additional oil drained out and got hardly any. I did not even soak a paper towel there was so little.

Okay, back to my Subaru. I never had a problem with it scraping anything- snow, rocks, sticks or anything else- because I had an engine skid plate. Before you say anything, the Subaru skid plate was plastic and had a rubber flap to get to the drain plug and filter. My Subaru also had less than 5 inches of ground clearance so it was much closer to the ground than a Jeep.

If you are worried that it will get ripped off during your off-road adventures, I can assure you that your oil drain plug and probably most of your pan would be taken just as easily.

Latest posts

Members online