Full Synthetic Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart (5 Quarts and I keep one around just incase) and a Fram oil Filter with the grip since the KJs is in a touch location. I would like to get a K&N filter for the nut on the bottom, but they are to expensive.

I have been running it since I bought it and she runs smooth. My brother just bought a '06 KJ and I am switching him to Mobil 1 tomorrow.

Also, I use a oil additive called BG MOA and a fuel additive called BG 44K and I add them in each time I change the oil every 5k miles to help keep the system clean.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart (5 Quarts and I keep one around just incase) and a Fram oil Filter with the grip since the KJs is in a touch location. I would like to get a K&N filter for the nut on the bottom, but they are to expensive.

I have been running it since I bought it and she runs smooth. My brother just bought a '06 KJ and I am switching him to Mobil 1 tomorrow.

Also, I use a oil additive called BG MOA and a fuel additive called BG 44K and I add them in each time I change the oil every 5k miles to help keep the system clean.

Wasting money on the BG stuff. Modern Syn oils have plenty of goodies in them to keep things cleaned and the oil MFG's will tell you not to bother w/ additives.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes those additives and stuff can help jjskj. I personally do not use them in my kj at all but I used a bottle of rislone in the old 94 I-6 and the lifters didnt tick the entire time it was in there. Next oil change I didnt add it(and havent since, only did once to test) and they started right back ticking.

Ive never heard of BG so I cannot say anything about it.

tbaldridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard of that 44K stuff and the MOA for the ****** a long time ago but I had no idea they still manufacture it.

NomadKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Champion, they also make K&N oil filter.
5 quarts for $23 at Wally World? I'm switching to Mobil 1 next change. Amsoil is great but Mobil 1 is just as great, & a whole lot cheaper.

I was at Wally World tonight, & saw Mobil1 oil filters for $10. Does anyone know about these? who is the actual manufacturer? I assume that if Mobil put their name & reputation on them they are probably outstanding, but if anyone knows something different...

NomadKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.4filters.com/Oil-Filter-MERCURY-FORD-LINCOLN_p_3-2743.html#

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also going Syn. It cost 2 times as much but it also goes twice as long between changes, so it evens out. plus the added benefits.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes those additives and stuff can help jjskj. I personally do not use them in my kj at all but I used a bottle of rislone in the old 94 I-6 and the lifters didnt tick the entire time it was in there. Next oil change I didnt add it(and havent since, only did once to test) and they started right back ticking.

Ive never heard of BG so I cannot say anything about it.

I got the same result by just moving up to a thicker syn on a ticking lifter engine. For example, STP was a perfect engine noise masker since it increased overall oil viscosity. Many additives are just masking problems and they certainly don't fix or make better any problems. If you have real engine problems they should be addressed properly and not just band-aided. Heck, I once freed up a stuck lifter by running a little trans fluid in the oil just prior to an oil change on an old engine. My message is that on a newer engine in good mechanical condition synthetics are good for it compared to dino oil, they flow better, last longer, clean better, hold vis better, etc. what engine wouldn't want all that?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I agree with that JJ. I knew the rislone was just masking the noise but hey, it makes everyone stop asking, "Whats that ticking." :)

BRASMAN

Reaction score
Mobil one and K&N filter every 6000 miles and I change it my self.

NomadKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Champion Labs and Champion spark plugs are two difference companies. Champion Labs is one of the better filters made.

Thanks. My experience is that Champion makes lousy spark plugs. Are they better at making oil filters?

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Champion Labs and Champion spark plugs are two difference companies. Champion Labs is one of the better filters made.

Great, I'll feel better using the filter now!

Your original post only said "Champion", so I was concerned. The only time I've been stranded in the middle of nowhere was because a Champion spark plug blew apart while I was going all of 70 MPH, in top gear, at steady state cruise. (not in the KJ) eek2.gif

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using synthetic oils for 10 years in 3 vehicles. 314,000 miles total. If there was a problem, I would have had it by now. On the other hand, synthetic or conventional oil doesn't really matter, just change it. I like synthetic oil because it doesn't come from the mideast and I believe it to have better thermal protection with today's hot running engines. I use Mobil 1 because of it's availability. I have used other brands without any problems.

I started this thread on a similiar subject.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34995&highlight=moparman

The 3 vehicles. http://mysite.verizon.net/jjboland/home/index.html

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of our oil comes from North America: Canada, Mexico, & even the US.
And most oils that claim to be "Synthetic" are actually made from organic crude oil. We just can't avoid it.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of our oil comes from North America: Canada, Mexico, & even the US.
And most oils that claim to be "Synthetic" are actually made from organic crude oil. We just can't avoid it.

Some oils advertised as synthetic are blends for sure, the truth may be in fine print. But full synthetic oil is just that. It was invented by the Germans in WWII. It kept ******'s tanks rolling long after they normally would. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Depends on which numbers you look at. Totals from the DOE site says 4850 thousand barrels a day for 2007 from North America, 4699 from the rest for 2007. 4850>4699 YTD 2007.

2008 YTD totals are NA=4621 & the rest 4892. But if you look at the header these 2008 numbers only include numbers from January 2008, while the 2007 numbers are average for the whole year. January is a rough time of year in Alaska & Canada climate wise, so it should be no surprise that the numbers are a bit lower in this one month. So no, I don't think it says otherwise.

Another point is many of those other countries I have no problem with: UK, Brazil, Equador, & even Columbia are all fine in my book.

Last edited: