Fuel overflows on fill-up, how to fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that the past few times I have filled my KJ up, the fuel spews out of the fuel filler tube before the pump shuts off. I remember reading something about this awhile back, but don't remember what.

Any ideas on what is causing it and how to fix it? Thanks!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a vent for the EVAP syatem that is messing up,I do believe you can buy the part now(like $125) but if not it requires a new gas tank($600+).There is a TSB for this issue,if under the 3/36 warranty will be covered for free otherwise it's your dime to fix.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure if its the same in the states but EVAP is an emission part which usually carries a very long warranty. Up here I believe it is around 160,000km or 6 years. It's worth checking out at your local dealership. The states could be different though.

Reaction score
I've also had this problem with mine so far been getting by with not topping it off or going by the sound of it nearing the top, but now I think i'll be checking if this is still covered soon.

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer replaced the tank (and neck too I believe) under warranty on my '07 for this problem. It had done this a few times on me, but the last straw was when it blew gas all over the lady next to me when the tank hit full. :icon_twisted: Some times it would lead all down the side, others it would actually spew out.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I cant fill it slower since it is illegal to fill your own gas where I live. I hate when they try and top it off, it just runs down the side. Sometimes I watch them spray it all over themselves.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I have the same problem. I cant fill it slower since it is illegal to fill your own gas where I live. I hate when they try and top it off, it just runs down the side. Sometimes I watch them spray it all over themselves.

Just ask them to fill it slower.
We have the same issue here in Richmond, B.C.
We are not allowed to fill our own vehicles due to a by-law to keep
people employed.
Mind you, we drive 20 miles to fill up with less expensive gasoline,
Right now it saves us about $10.00 to $14.00 per tank full!
That's a 6 pack of beer around here!

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ask them to fill it slower.
We have the same issue here in Richmond, B.C.
We are not allowed to fill our own vehicles due to a by-law to keep
people employed.
Mind you, we drive 20 miles to fill up with less expensive gasoline,
Right now it saves us about $10.00 to $14.00 per tank full!
That's a 6 pack of beer around here!

I would but Im not sure if they would understand what I am asking.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would but Im not sure if they would understand what I am asking.
Just let them get soaked with gas and then state to take some $$$ for the gas they spilled and a free car wash,problem solved.

I drove through Oregon and they have to pump the gas also,I refused,they called the cops,and while they were calling I pumped my own gas and left.What a crappy law.

Last edited:

jake1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in NY almost all the pumps are missing the lever that lets you lock the trigger and walk away as the tank fills. I just wedge the gas cap under the trigger, it fills slower this way because the gas cap doesn't squeeze the trigger all the way. Works great in the winter, I just go back inside the Jeep and watch it fill through the mirror. I stopped doing it since signs say going back inside a vehicle might make static electricity that could spark an explosion when you touch the pump.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 06 does it on occasion, but being a college student I can't afford to fill the tank anymore jumping up to $4.19 a gallon here. Problem solved!
Also for those places that you can't fill your own gas, that's rediculous.. Around here there's not a single service station, most people don't even turn off your car, or not talk on the phone at the pump around here.