Fuel overflow when filling up...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an 07. i am the only owner. when i first got it i never had any problems, then out of the blue after 2 years it started spilling over. but now it hasnt happened in months. i dont think its ever happened to me in cold weather either...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't quote anyone in your post (#15), so I assumed you were responding to my OP, so I quoted you. Sorry, I just have a hard time following who's responding to who/what without quotes. My bad.

Looks like maybe the older KJs had the flap, newer ones not so much.

My bad, sometimes I just say something relating to what someone else said and dont quote them. Boiler was talking about gas dripping on the side of his jeep.

For the gas over flow, idk how it can be a problem with the kj since it only over flows when the tank is full and the nozzle is not shutting off quick enough. I would say the neck was too small or the tank wasnt venting properly if it was over flowing before the tank was full.

Mine has not over flowed since I moved. I can only remember it over flowing(twice) at a BP in the town I moved from. Right now I only fill up at chevron and its never happened. Not saying chevron is different though.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had this happen until yesterday...
I usually just let mine fill until it clicks and yesterday i realized it was going over 15 gallons so went out to look and sure enough as i got out it was about to start filling over and soaked my flare...

05blacklib

Reaction score
Hello everybody, longtime listener, first time caller...

I have a 2005 Liberty Sport. This has been one of the few annoyances with my Jeep. I can assure everyone that this is not user error, and from the posts that I scanned over, this is evidently somewhat common. I saw at least one 05 that didn't and I am an 05 that does. Hmmm... IDK.

Nothing really new to add, except that I'm in the "me too" category on this one. I saw lots of posts talking about the same technique of filling up to near full and then letting up off of the "throttle". I always read my gas gauge before the fill, then guestimate
(18=F;9=half;4.5=qtr;1.125=1/16) where it would top off at, and then listen for air and slow down near that point.

That's my best technique, short of not getting a top-off. Sometimes it works, others not-so-much, and when it doesn't, it at least seems to lessen the amount of 87spewage...

paulbryant

Reaction score
My 04 doesn't have the overfilling problem, but rather the opposite. When I fill, it keeps shutting off all the time even when it's filled from near empty. Does anyone have any idea how I can keep it filling without shutting off?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
My 04 doesn't have the overfilling problem, but rather the opposite. When I fill, it keeps shutting off all the time even when it's filled from near empty. Does anyone have any idea how I can keep it filling without shutting off?

With our 2004, I don't insert the filler spout all the way into the filler hole.
Seems to work for us!
I guess the back pressure from the gasoline fumes being pushed up from out of the empty (near empty) tank become more dissipated and "trick" the shut off sensor from shutting off the flow of fuel.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A while after I got mine 06 it would happen at a certian station, then at all stations. It stopped for 18 months and now will do it a most Shell stations and rarely a 7-11. Just a week ago I had the gas piss all over me. Had some stank to it. No flapper on my filler either.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine hasn't overflowed in awhile. Not sure why. I wouldn't think the temperature would affect it, but...?

jbg76

Reaction score
Over flow at fill up

I have the same problem. My 08 Liberty overflows everytime I fill up. It started 1.5 years after purchase. Something must have stopped working correctly. I don't see the need to replace the entire tank. Seems like some sort of valve/sensor must be inoperative.

What is the solution???

Last edited:

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After not doing it for months, mine is doing it again at a new station that I go to now. I believe it has a lot to do with the vapor recovery nozzle. Now I slow it down when I know it is close to clicking off.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After not doing it for months, mine is doing it again at a new station that I go to now. I believe it has a lot to do with the vapor recovery nozzle. Now I slow it down when I know it is close to clicking off.

You are exactly right.

Latest posts

Members online