Fuel overflow when filling up...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel overflow FIXED! UPDATE #2

UPDATE 2What seems to be the final fix... I got my KJ out to the dealer this morning. They installed a new fuel tank. The service man originally told me it was a problem with the filler tube. But when they called me about the part being in the guy said, "Your new fuel tank is in." I checked this morning and they did indeed have a new fuel tank for me.

They installed it under warranty and sent me on the way. First stop, the gas station! I filled it up and the pump clicked off as it was supposed to with NO fuel running all over the place. YES!

I did take a look at the mouth of the filler tube and nothing there had been changed, only the tank.

I'm not sure what has changed with this gas tank. Nobody at the dealer really knew or would say what the difference between the new and old tank was. Maybe someone here knows. But whatever has changed did fix the problem.

UPDATE 1.1: Part is in. More later.

UPDATE #1: Let me clarify something. This is NOT user error at the gas pump. :rolleyes: We've all probably owned at least a few different cars and understand how to use a gas pump. I've filled this thing up at at least a dozen different gas stations and it does it EVERY time. Also, it does it at any setting on the lever other than the first click, which would take a 1/2 hour to fill the tank. And I NEVER top off. Why? Because fuel has already spewed all over.

Just got back from the dealer. They acknowledged this is a somewhat common problem. After they checked it out he said there's something wrong with the filler tube, and they are getting a replacement part for me. It should be in Thursday. I will also see if there's a difference in the new filler tube. Maybe it's been made a little bigger or something. I'll update again after the part has been installed.

(original post)
Got an '07 Liberty and the fuel overflows EVERY time when I fill it up. Where I live we have the vapor recovery systems on the gas nozzles, which I thought was the problem. Last week while visiting my relatives out of town I filled up at a rural gas station without the vapor recovery system. Not only did it overflow, it blew gas all over me and the lady filling her tank on the other side of the pump.

This is a VERY DANGEROUS issue! Apparently it's very common too. Has anyone heard of a fix for this issue? What's causing the problem? I can't believe someone hasn't gotten hurt already.

It's headed to the dealer today to get a couple other things fixed under warranty. I'm hoping they can resolve this, but if I had to guess, I'll probably get the same song and dance my dealer is famous for.

Last edited:

Dukie513

Reaction score
The same thing happens to my 05 sport. I am not sure of the issue but it is rather annoying.

If anyone has a solution to this, aside from filling my tank very slowly I am all ears.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
It is supposed to have nothing to do with the vehicle gas inlet, it's the pump nozzle that has a sensor in it to detect the gas backing up into the nozzle. The gas does not come out that huge hole, there is another tube inside the metal nozzle, with about 1/4" hole (some I saw). When the gas backs up your fill, it goes up into the metal hole, and a sensor is to tell the pump to shut off.

The problem it may be, besides some stations, it just doesn't work? If the metal nozzle does not go down the fill hole far enough, then it won't trip the sensor when gas backs out, because it is not going UP far enough back up into the nozzle. That's why you're not supposed to "Top off" because people pull the nozzle out, and only put like 1/2" of it back in to top off, and some people just don't that ability to LOOK and see what's doing, so it spills.

If you are having an issue with the pump not shutting off, and it happens EVERYWHERE you go, it can only be the nozzle not going in all the way, or improperly seated. You figure, it's supposed to go ALL the way down so the rubber plunger like thing sits completely over the fill. You may have to TURN the pump handle it slightly to the left or right, to make it easier for the gas to back out, UP into far enough to trip the sensor, so it shuts off.

Some people have the opposite effect, they put it in, and it keeps popping off every 5 seconds, and then you have to turn the handle left, or right for it to STOP doing that...

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually have the opposite problem, on off on off on off, and finally on...

Seems like when i have less than a half a tank i have to go really slow and you can feel air flow out of the tank, which blows gas back into the nozzle and makes it shut off. But after a bit of pumping then i can go full speed and fill it up. My wife's PT does that to. Maybe the gas stations here have too sensitive of a shutoff i don't know.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is supposed to have nothing to do with the vehicle gas inlet, it's the pump nozzle that has a sensor in it to detect the gas backing up into the nozzle. The gas does not come out that huge hole, there is another tube inside the metal nozzle, with about 1/4" hole (some I saw). When the gas backs up your fill, it goes up into the metal hole, and a sensor is to tell the pump to shut off.

The problem it may be, besides some stations, it just doesn't work? If the metal nozzle does not go down the fill hole far enough, then it won't trip the sensor when gas backs out, because it is not going UP far enough back up into the nozzle. That's why you're not supposed to "Top off" because people pull the nozzle out, and only put like 1/2" of it back in to top off, and some people just don't that ability to LOOK and see what's doing, so it spills.

If you are having an issue with the pump not shutting off, and it happens EVERYWHERE you go, it can only be the nozzle not going in all the way, or improperly seated. You figure, it's supposed to go ALL the way down so the rubber plunger like thing sits completely over the fill. You may have to TURN the pump handle it slightly to the left or right, to make it easier for the gas to back out, UP into far enough to trip the sensor, so it shuts off.

Some people have the opposite effect, they put it in, and it keeps popping off every 5 seconds, and then you have to turn the handle left, or right for it to STOP doing that...

I understand what you are saying, but I have the same problem as the original poster, and it's not user error. This is my 7th vehicle and the only one I've ever had this issue with. I jam the nozzle down as far as I can, and probably 20% of the time I end up having it overflow.

Also, I've lived in relatively the same area all my life, so I have used the same stations and pumps across different vehicles, and it's not the pumps causing this.

KJcleveland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have experienced both problems. solution to overflow? just dont put in that extra gallon of gas. 16 gallons is usually where i cut it off.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually just let mine fill up until it stops itself and never had an issue on it, its an 06 and my sisters 03 has never had this happen either.

jeepzilla

Reaction score
My '06 limited does both, the off an on as well as the overflow. But I notice at certain stations not everywhere. The first time it overflowed I was pi$$ed off, how it can ruin the paint an all but then I thought hhmm gives me a reason to bedliner the belt line down of my KJ....

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine over flow once or twice when i first got my KJ. now a days, I put the nozzle all the way in and lock the trigger in place and go about my business. Then after the first click of the pump stopping I give it quick squeeze and i'm done.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are tons of fumes that come out while fueling so its not really any more dangerous than just filling it up. Fumes are way more dangerous anyway.

Mines done it a couple times but its been over 2 years.

Boiler

Reaction score
When I bought mine in January it did it every time for like 5 fillups. By then I started trying to avoid it by slowing the pump when I could hear it getting close to full or around the 16 gallon mark if I needed a big fillup. Running it on a slower speed for the last gallon or two and not topping off (which I never did anyway) fixed the problem. What is weird is now I just let it fill full speed and no longer have the issue. I'm wondering if it will start again when it gets really cold.

One thing I do have an issue with is removing the nozzle and getting gas all over my fender flare. I have to remove it really slowly, clink it around in the cap, and then quickly but gradually pull it out or I dribble all over the flare. Looks like crap when it happens.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just turn the nozzle up once you remove it from the fill hole but before removing it from the cap area?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just pull it out, and give it a few taps on the filler neck to get all the drips out. Only have got gas on the painted part twice, just from me being pulling it to soon.

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just turn the nozzle up once you remove it from the fill hole but before removing it from the cap area?

On mine it blows the fuel out when the pump clicks off. If I slow the pump down to a medium to slow speed, when it clicks off there's fuel running all down the plastic fender flare. And if you're standing close enough to hold the gas nozzle you're more than likely getting a gas bath.

On other cars I notice a piece of metal, like a shut off flap, that's on a spring just inside the filler tube, but I don't see it on my KJ. Is there supposed to be one? Maybe that's why they said the filler tube was bad and are getting me a new one.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you quoted me, I wasnt saying that would solve the over flowing issues. Idk what causes that just yet.

And nope, mine does not have that flap either. Not sure why they decided not to use that.

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you quoted me, I wasnt saying that would solve the over flowing issues. Idk what causes that just yet.

And nope, mine does not have that flap either. Not sure why they decided not to use that.

You didn't quote anyone in your post (#15), so I assumed you were responding to my OP, so I quoted you. Sorry, I just have a hard time following who's responding to who/what without quotes. My bad.

Looks like maybe the older KJs had the flap, newer ones not so much.

Latest posts

Members online