Fuel Gauge issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peter68

Reaction score
I bought a 06 liberty for my kid but having issues with the gas gauge always reading full (gas light just came on) and the speedometer not working.
I ran the diagnostic holding the tripometer reset and turning the vehicle on, all other gauges rotated up and then back to where they started but the fuel gauge did not move.
Don't know if issues are related or where to start troubleshooting.

Thanks
Peter

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome.
Ensure your battery is good & has clean & tight connections with no corrosion.
Let's start with the rear differential speed sensor. Inspect the wiring running up from the speed sensor (at rear diff) to frame for frayed/ damage, often that might be the problem.
Is connector clean at speed sensor?
If the wiring is bad, There is a wiring kit available if damage is found, or you may have to replace the speed sensor.
See this post #5 Bob explains quite well how to remove the sensor etc. https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/speedometer-not-working.49382/

Fuel issue: I think that the fuel level sending unit is probably the cause, but lets see how things work out after dealing with the rear diff speed sensor.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the 2006 have a sensor on the rear diff? I thought it worked out its speed from the ABS sensors on the rear wheels! Too lazy to look it up at the moment will check up later!o_O

The fuel gauge problem may be a stuck sender in the fuel tank but I would have thought that the "excerciser" procedure of the cluster ignores that....maybe the actual fuel gauge has stuck and needs a careful prod to get it back.;) You can pull off the single connector on the Cluster and see if the gauge springs back or disconnect the battery for a while.:)

You can download the 2006 KJ Service Manual here:

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK the 2006 Parts Fiche shows a "wheel speed sensor" on the rear diff.;)

Cannot see it in the Wiring Diagrams though.:confused:

I am probably thinking of something else as regards the ABS sensors...the 2006 probably does make use of the a Sensor on the Diff same as the 2005 so the connector and wires going to it need to be checked!;)

Getting older by the day!!o_O

Last edited:

Peter68

Reaction score
OK the 2006 Parts Fiche shows a "wheel speed sensor" on the rear diff.;)

Cannot see it in the Wiring Diagrams though.:confused:
There is no connector on my 06 I pulled the wheels off to get a good look on top of the diff b/c so many reported issues.
I replaced the Vehicle speed sensor as well but did not change speedo not working.

Peter68

Reaction score
Does the 2006 have a sensor on the rear diff? I thought it worked out its speed from the ABS sensors on the rear wheels! Too lazy to look it up at the moment will check up later!o_O

The fuel gauge problem may be a stuck sender in the fuel tank but I would have thought that the "excerciser" procedure of the cluster ignores that....maybe the actual fuel gauge has stuck and needs a careful prod to get it back.;) You can pull off the single connector on the Cluster and see if the gauge springs back or disconnect the battery for a while.:)

You can download the 2006 KJ Service Manual here:

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/
Thanks, I will try that!