Fuel filter/ tune up questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I decide today to go by the local parts house and do my first self tune up on the Lib. I get an air filer, plugs, throttle body cleaner, etc. I asked the guy for a fuel filter and PCV valve. He had to order the PCV (no big deal) but when he looked up the fuel filer, he gave me this odd confused look.. "It's special order, and it looks like we never sell these. There must be something weird about them". Well, so much for knowledgeable help. Anyway, I suspect that it is probably an in the tank filter and doesn't need to be replaced as part of a general tune up. Does anyone know for sure? Also, Anything else you recommend other than what I've listed? I really would like to get my MPG back to 20 or over.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JC said:
So I decide today to go by the local parts house and do my first self tune up on the Lib. I get an air filer, plugs, throttle body cleaner, etc. I asked the guy for a fuel filter and PCV valve. He had to order the PCV (no big deal) but when he looked up the fuel filer, he gave me this odd confused look.. "It's special order, and it looks like we never sell these. There must be something weird about them". Well, so much for knowledgeable help. Anyway, I suspect that it is probably an in the tank filter and doesn't need to be replaced as part of a general tune up. Does anyone know for sure? Also, Anything else you recommend other than what I've listed? I really would like to get my MPG back to 20 or over.
The fuel filter is located above the gas tank,it also has the pressure regulator built in.I had to get mine from the dealer,it was around $150. I was told is was a "life time" filter but I don't do life time anything.The older KJ's have a "trap" door under the rear carpet to change it out,but since I have a tool box bolted to the floor I just dropped the gas tank.

RAYMAN1007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how would you get under the carpet though? maybe when you fold the seat down and that velcro is there at the bottom then peel it towards the back of the jeep? i know those back cargo side panels are a pain, i didnt wanna break them to try to take em off when i was running wires for my subwoofer

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RAYMAN1007 said:
how would you get under the carpet though? maybe when you fold the seat down and that velcro is there at the bottom then peel it towards the back of the jeep? i know those back cargo side panels are a pain, i didnt wanna break them to try to take em off when i was running wires for my subwoofer
You actually have to drill the rivets for the rear cargo hold downs than the remove the very rearward plastic trim than you can peel the carpet back enough to expose the trap door.Which is by the way sealed to the floor pan so you have to cut through that crap,which you will dent everything up to.It was easier just to drop the gas tank about 4" to change it out.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do they put fuel filters in stupid locations like this? Fortunately all the GM vheicles i've had the fuel filter has been near the driver side frame rail and can be removed without even crawling underneath.

My corvette's filter has a built in pressure regulator - I bought a new WIX one for it the other day and it was an in stock part. Corvette one is a lifetime filter too (ha!). Not sure why the KJs wouldn't be stocked...try a different parts store?

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm probably going to take the wrong approach here, but I think I'll blow off changing it for the present. I've got just over 40k , so I should be ok for now.

I did wind up doing the plugs, fuel system cleaner, cleaned the throttle body and replaced the PCV valve. I pulled the plugs out and all 6 had the electrodes worn all the way out for a nice .095 gap. Also, the throttle body was filthy black. I thought the Lib ran fine before, but it made a huge difference. I haven't gone through a whole tank of gas yet, but I can already tell my mileage is much better.

Members online

No members online now.