Fuel Filler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 CRD, and I have to say that I really love the vehicle. There is one thing though that really irritates me, and that is the fuel filler(banghead)
For some reason, it seems to be impossible to just put the pump nozzle in and just fill the tank. It cuts off after every 1-2 litres, and I have to release and squeeze again. If I need to fill the tank from (near) empty, you can guess how long I'm standing at the pump! I also can't sqeeze for full flow, or it cuts out almost immediately. It's like it keeps thinking that the tank is full.
Is this just me (or my car) or do/have others had this problem, and if so - does anyone know a fix for it?
Thanks in advance (and in hope) :)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Don't squeeze on the pump handle all the way?
I cannot fully squeeze on the pump handle all the way when filling up at any fuel level in the tank, I have to back off a little and then there is no problem, where as if I just choke the filler open it just keeps clicking off. But ours is gasoline not diesel. But that should not make a difference.

gmctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is worlds of difference in pumping Diesel fuel and pumping that other fuel - f'rinstance, the gasser (patooie!) nozzle shuts off when the slightly-bubbling in-tank liquid backs up the pumped liquid - the Diesel fuel nozzle shuts off when foam backs up the in-flowing liquid, where the in-tank liquid is still far below - the warmer the fuel, the greater the foaming - or, could be something is blocking the filler neck anti-siphon screen - or the anti-foaming system is malfunctioning - the KJ CRD's are the first to have that system, intended to prevent spills from foam-over, a problem those other KJ's seldom encounter

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks lads! I appreciate the input and the help. I've never been able to squeeze the nozzle lever full on and even at a very partial squeeze, I still get the problem, regardless of temperature.
Thanks GMCTD - the foaming issue was one I was completely unaware of - I think a quick trip to the dealer may be in order to get it checked:(

gmctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good show, then - the KJ anti-foam fill system allows easy fill, as does the VW anti-foam system (not even to be compared with gasser (patooie!) systems) - all the (as Carl Sagan sez) billions and billions of Dodge 5.9, GM 6.2\6.5, and FoMoCo 6.9\7.3 Diesel vehicle owners are very envious, having fought Diesel fuel foam-back since day one - not only that, but here in the colonies gasoline and Diesel fuel are available at the same pump, and I sincerely believe the maintenance guys aren't always too particular as to replacing a failed nozzle with the correct version