Frt. Drive Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my '06 KJ used in April, frt. drive shaft needed to be rebuilt, torn boot. 2months and 5000 mi's later the boot is torn again! Needless to say I am taking it back to the shop that rebuilt it. My ? is , did they are there rebuild kits that are better than others? I am not a happy camper!

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know what rep different suppliers have for quality, but even NAPA sells the rebuild kits for both ends of the driveshaft now. From what how-to videos I've seen on line, either end is a fairly simple job with just basic hand tools - depending on circumstances, why not do it yourself and know it was done right?

As one of my CRD friends has said, the level of quality of the maintenance on his vehicle has went up markedly since he started doing it himself.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Bought my '06 KJ used in April, frt. drive shaft needed to be rebuilt, torn boot. 2months and 5000 mi's later the boot is torn again! Needless to say I am taking it back to the shop that rebuilt it. My ? is , did they are there rebuild kits that are better than others? I am not a happy camper!

First of all, I second the do it yourself work! Not meaning to sound like you're not welcome if you don't work on your kj yourself but like he said it lets you know you did it right and that if something tears up it wasn't the installers fault. However, if you have a lack of tools, or just feel uncomfortable with the task don't worry about it and just have someone else do it. It may cost you more but atleast you didn't have to worry about it. Now I have no experience with any of the rebuild kits for this situation but I can guess that there is probably something causing this torn boot other than its lack of quaility either it is catching something underneath the rig, or it has been stretched too far, or its the wrong size period. I would look for signs of the reason its torn before I replaced it otherwise it may happen to the new one again even if you do the job. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

P.S. Also one of the best things you can do to allow the members of this forum to help you better is to post pictures of whatever problems you may have with you kj. For example, post pics of the boots and where they're torn at and maybe some things around them that may look sharp or that they could snag on.

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I do my own work on my cars but when I had to have the trans rebuilt and the frt. D-Shaft needed rebuilding I had the Trans Shop do it all (frt. D-shaft was sent out,$275.00) This is why I am upset. From reading the How To post I could have done it myself and only have me to blame. I just want to know if there is a rebuild kit that is at least OEM quality! Will post the outcome.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used that kit from driveshafts and rebuilt my transfercase side of the front drive shaft last oct, no problems yet
i don't use 4x4 too often if that matters

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't think that it would make a difference, as it all still turns whether your in 2wd or 4wd. The only real difference is the amount of 'strain' on the joint when you're engaged in 4wd.

sswk06

Reaction score
I used that kit from driveshafts and rebuilt my transfercase side of the front drive shaft last oct, no problems yet
i don't use 4x4 too often if that matters

Is there anyway just to replace the rubber boot on the front driveshaft where it goes into the transfer case? If so, where can I find the boot.

Thanks.

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think that it would make a difference, as it all still turns whether your in 2wd or 4wd. The only real difference is the amount of 'strain' on the joint when you're engaged in 4wd.

This is true, my thinking is that the replacement parts used are of poor quality.I'll let you all know how this turns out. Or just install the shaft when I need 4whl. LOL.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

Thanks for the replies. I do my own work on my cars but when I had to have the trans rebuilt and the frt. D-Shaft needed rebuilding I had the Trans Shop do it all (frt. D-shaft was sent out,$275.00) This is why I am upset. From reading the How To post I could have done it myself and only have me to blame. I just want to know if there is a rebuild kit that is at least OEM quality! Will post the outcome.

This is true, my thinking is that the replacement parts used are of poor quality.I'll let you all know how this turns out. Or just install the shaft when I need 4whl. LOL.

Do you do any off roading?
If you do, maybe you snagged something on the boot!

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, have'nt done any off-roading yet, just daily driving, my sons KJ has the same problem. Both D-Shafts were rebuilt at the same time. Must be a poor part (rubber boot) issue. What ever the problem I am not happy. ?, for those of you that have installed a lift how does that affect the frt. d-shaft?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
No, have'nt done any off-roading yet, just daily driving, my sons KJ has the same problem. Both D-Shafts were rebuilt at the same time. Must be a poor part (rubber boot) issue. What ever the problem I am not happy. ?, for those of you that have installed a lift how does that affect the frt. d-shaft?

A lift doesn't effect the front drive shaft as the lift is
done at the wheels and not at the front differential.
The diff remains in the stock, factory position.

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a good idea to replace the whole CV joint as you don’t know what has made its way up into the bearing and started grinding the metal away. I had a torn boot a few weeks ago and went off roading and boy did I know it was bad. Just fixed it last weekend, but have yet to place the drive shaft in yet. Just make sure if you drive with the front drive shaft off you place it in 4wd hi. That’s so you keep the transfer case chain moving and the transfer case lubricated.

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the joint and boot will be replaced. Where did you get your replacment parts from. With the trans output running through the t-case seems to me something in the t-case is always turning to keep the internals lubed. ?

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did the cv joint on my front DS last month and it was a piece of cake. Thanks to everyone here for posting repair and troubleshooting tips... on everything!
It also gave me the chance to paint my drive shaft while I was at it.

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my parts from rock auto for about 120 out the door with the 5% discount, i belive.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the joint and boot will be replaced. Where did you get your replacment parts from. With the trans output running through the t-case seems to me something in the t-case is always turning to keep the internals lubed. ?

Post #8

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picking up the D-shafts today and will install. Hopefully will get more than 5000mi's out of them, will keep all posted. Planing to have some 4-whl. fun this summer.

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK the re-re-built frt. D-shaft is in and the odo is reset, will see how many miles I get from this one. Any bets? Have checked out CCI Driveline re. their upgraded D-shaft, they use dbl. U-joints at the T-case end, much stronger and does away with the rubber dust boot that fails.