Front halfshaft nut size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title says, what's the size of the nut holding the halfshafts in on the front axle? I am talking about the one needed to remove the wheel hub.

I want to make sure I have the appropriate socket.

Thanks!

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I distinctly recall having a motherf**ker of a time finding a 35mm socket. Actually I can't remember where I ended up going...Harbor Freight I think. Sears, Lowes, Pep Boys, Advance, Fisher, Vato Zone...nobody had one.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I distinctly recall having a motherf**ker of a time finding a 35mm socket. Actually I can't remember where I ended up going...Harbor Freight I think. Sears, Lowes, Pep Boys, Advance, Fisher, Vato Zone...nobody had one.

Try Graingers, they have the 35mm online.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You need a deep well socket also some that are sold are not deep enough to actually let you tighten the nut all the way, Harbor Freight has one in an impact type that does.

Then, if you get one from NAPA they have a 36 mm nut on theirs! Making it all that much more fun!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, nice. Thanks for the head's up. I'll check Harbor Frieght now.

Parts shipped today, will be here tomorrow.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm...I am going to have to look at the socket I have.

I have a 35mm or 36mm that fit a 1994 S-10 halfshaft. I am seeing both sizes mentioned, but I believe the OEM was a 35mm on those too. Unfortunately, it got a little rusty on the one side after my brother used it years back and I can't see the size :(

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TAHOE - and that's for the OEM axle, not for the replacement?

I have the 36mm then. There's a tool store near my house that has a 35mm deep for $17. I'll check the one I have to make sure it won't work, and go pick up the 35 if needed.

Thanks everyone!

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the nut from the new cv and went to the hardware store and bought a 2" drive socket with the words GEL CR-V 2" S-3464-S stamped on the side. Not sure what that means but it worked fine for me. The inside diameter measures about 1-11/32" with a tape measure.