front end thud sound when driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried searching the forums but didnt find what I need, so ill ask. When im driving every little bump or hole on the road that I hit (theres alot, i live in michigan..) i here a sound coming from the front end (kindof a thud). sounds to me like the shocks but i really dont know. The jeep doesnt sag and still sits higher than most others. anyone know what it could be or what i can do to figure it out? Id be ok if it was just a bad shock, but a ball joint or something else would be bad when it gives out while im driving...

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The best thing to do is have the front end inspected.
This can easily be done at time of a front wheel alignment. Once a year!
Look at sway bar end links for tight bolts, and front Bj's & shocks top bolts, springs & things...
Most suspension(stock) is bagged after a few years on the kJ.
Consider lift with new OME springs/Shocks and the ride will feel better than new! (see lift section)
Measure from the center of the hub to where the inner fender flare starts, what is that measurement both sides front?

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried searching the forums but didnt find what I need, so ill ask. When im driving every little bump or hole on the road that I hit (theres alot, i live in michigan..) i here a sound coming from the front end (kindof a thud). sounds to me like the shocks but i really dont know. The jeep doesnt sag and still sits higher than most others. anyone know what it could be or what i can do to figure it out? Id be ok if it was just a bad shock, but a ball joint or something else would be bad when it gives out while im driving...

See what the lower control arm to clevis bushings look like. They may be toast like mine almost are. that's what I think it is.