Front End Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdn beaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I need some help to troubleshoot some front end noise. I can only best describe it as the sound of someone juggling a set of keys.... or dragging them maybe... Also noticed a tick while turning right only.

I've looked over the front end and nothing seems out of place. Brakes are good and all steering and cv boots are clean and in good condition - no tears.

It only makes the sounds while driving.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Mark

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the jingling key sounds like the front drive shaft rear CV boot.
Have you checked that?

Don't know about the right turn.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the jingling key sounds like the front drive shaft rear CV boot.
Have you checked that?

Don't know about the right turn.

That's what it is - the CV joint on the transfer case end of the front drive shaft. Buy the replacement kit from driveshaftparts.com - the kit runs about $50 and is a fairly easy replacement.

As for the sound during a right turn... My theory is the sound 'escapes' from under the Jeep during a right turn and is more easily heard from the driver's window (assuming it's a LHD Liberty.) If someone was sitting in the passenger seat and was listening through their open window they would hear the sound clearly in a left hand turn and not able to hear it well in in a right turn.

My 2 cents...

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That's what it is - the CV joint on the transfer case end of the front drive shaft. Buy the replacement kit from driveshaftparts.com - the kit runs about $50 and is a fairly easy replacement.

As for the sound during a right turn... My theory is the sound 'escapes' from under the Jeep during a right turn and is more easily heard from the driver's window (assuming it's a LHD Liberty.) If someone was sitting in the passenger seat and was listening through their open window they would hear the sound clearly in a left hand turn and not able to hear it well in in a right turn.

My 2 cents...

Bob

I really think thats worth a nickle Bob !!:gr_grin:

Geof3

Reaction score
Hmm, that might be my issue as well. I've got a similar sound when driving slowly. Seems to go away when speeds get higher. Noticed it the other day in a parking garage.

Why would the rear CV boot make a jingle or scrape kind of noise? Also, given the seeming hit and miss with the replacement, would it be a better move to replace the entire drive shaft and be done with it?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, that might be my issue as well. I've got a similar sound when driving slowly. Seems to go away when speeds get higher. Noticed it the other day in a parking garage.

Why would the rear CV boot make a jingle or scrape kind of noise? Also, given the seeming hit and miss with the replacement, would it be a better move to replace the entire drive shaft and be done with it?

When the CV fails the ball bearings rattle around inside the cage and the squeaks are due to the lack of grease in the CV - the torn boot has allowed it all to drain out.

Not sure what you mean about the 'hit or miss' with replacement CV's - I've had the replacement CV from driveshaftparts.com on mine for just over 90,000 miles and it's still fine. No way I'd want to mess around with a different driveshaft - there's nothing to be gained with a new complete assembly. The CV's are the wear item and no telling where the vendor gets the joints from.

Bob

Geof3

Reaction score
When the CV fails the ball bearings rattle around inside the cage and the squeaks are due to the lack of grease in the CV - the torn boot has allowed it all to drain out.

Not sure what you mean about the 'hit or miss' with replacement CV's - I've had the replacement CV from driveshaftparts.com on mine for just over 90,000 miles and it's still fine. No way I'd want to mess around with a different driveshaft - there's nothing to be gained with a new complete assembly. The CV's are the wear item and no telling where the vendor gets the joints from.

Bob

There is a thread above regarding some replacement CV's failing rather quickly. And of course... Driveshaftparts.com is out of stock for my 04.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clicking while turning is a drive axle cv probably passenger side that's your problem

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter