Front end knock- lower control arm? Easy fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my upper and lower ball joints in an attempt to get rid of this knocking. Turns out now I have new parts but the same knocking. I got looking and I found out where it was coming from... It looks like the arm slides a fraction of an inch and makes noises when stopping, turning ect. Any ideas on an easy fix? I was thinking of getting a hard rubber and wedge it between the bushings... I just can't spend any more money on the jeep now.

Attachments

• 20130326_090713_resized.jpg
    20130326_090713_resized.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 20130326_090740_resized.jpg
    20130326_090740_resized.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 111

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That fore and aft movement of the LCA mount bushings is 100% normal.When those bushings are torn or severly cracked is the time to replace them and it's cheaper and easier just to buy a whole new LCA with all 3 bushings already installed(OEM only for quality,aftermarket for "will need replaced in a year or 2").

Common knocking causes in the front end are loose swaybar links.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying not to replace this yet... can I drive it around like this? I don't want to have someone to have to do A huge project on this. Can I just buy a small part to fix it?

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That may have just been my camera, and I had a mechanic grabbing around there. Anyone had to get this replaced yet? And I am sure if I replace one I will have to replace the other.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That may have just been my camera, and I had a mechanic grabbing around there. Anyone had to get this replaced yet? And I am sure if I replace one I will have to replace the other.
When I was still IFS I replaced both LCA's due to severly cracked bushings,granted I wheeled the snot out of it and it was going to happen sooner then later.Lucky at the time OEM front LCA's where only $174 each.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had So I replaced both the bushings and my clunking noise was cut in half, maybe into a third but it is still making noise. I just redid the upper and lower ball joints. I have no idea what it could be. I think the bushings have something to do because the noise was reduced. any ideas??

It is only really making the noise when it is turned to the right or I am breaking hard...

Attachments

• 20130407_093427_resized.jpg
    20130407_093427_resized.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20130407_093418_resized.jpg
    20130407_093418_resized.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had So I replaced both the bushings and my clunking noise was cut in half, maybe into a third but it is still making noise. I just redid the upper and lower ball joints. I have no idea what it could be. I think the bushings have something to do because the noise was reduced. any ideas??

It is only really making the noise when it is turned to the right or I am breaking hard...

As tjkj2002 said above, check the swaybar links. Check the tightness while the full weight of the Jeep is on the wheels - don't tighten while it is on a jack or jackstands. Loosen them completely then retighten.

Another thing to check that's cheap and quick: The swaybar bushings. I just changed mine yesterday and can't believe how much tighter the front suspension is. There was some remaining clunking (even after re-torquing the swaybar links) and so I checked into the bushings. I only wanted Moog bushings and found them at Advance Auto Parts for $11.49 for the pair. Grab your 18mm socket and remove the old and swap in the new; the new ones are a tight fit but not difficult to put in. Took me about 20 minutes to replace - give it a try.

Bob

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My end links are tight, and the bushings look fine. Gonna replace them with new and the sway bushings as well and see what happened

rsscoggins

Reaction score
That fore and aft movement of the LCA mount bushings is 100% normal.When those bushings are torn or severly cracked is the time to replace them and it's cheaper and easier just to buy a whole new LCA with all 3 bushings already installed(OEM only for quality,aftermarket for "will need replaced in a year or 2").

Common knocking causes in the front end are loose swaybar links.

I know this is an old thread but want to confirm this statement - "That fore and aft movement of the LCA mount bushings is 100% normal"

Would this movement affect the alignment?

In the pockets that the LCA sits in, I have 3 rub marks on the rear of each pocket where the 3 rubber lugs/feet of the bushings have contacted the rear of the pocket. Not rub marks, just a clean area of contact vs the road spray/grim on the undercarriage.

Someone stated that these marks are an indication of the bushings being bad. Mine (actually my sons) is a 2002 with 75k miles. Bushings look to be in good shape with no cracking etc.

I don't want to waste money on an alignment if I need to replace the LCA first. I have already installed a lift (OME/Bilstein), replaced UCA, and Moog problem Solver lower ball joint (with grease fitting).

Waiting until we get new tires mounted to get an alignment.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I doubt yours are bad. Mine have 170k on them and seem ok.

What happens when you slam on the brakes? Any noises? If they clunk then, then they're bad. Went through that on my LR3 and yes they do impact alignment. Chewed up some tires pretty bad on it.

rsscoggins

Reaction score
I doubt yours are bad. Mine have 170k on them and seem ok.

What happens when you slam on the brakes? Any noises? If they clunk then, then they're bad. Went through that on my LR3 and yes they do impact alignment. Chewed up some tires pretty bad on it.

Thanks - that is what I was thinking - that they should be fine with that mileage (although age makes them suspect). I haven’t heard any clunk when braking - but I haven’t been braking super hard either.

But some movement of the arms is normal? That is the big question.

Does the clunk happen under normal braking or hard “stand it on its nose” type braking?

I have to run some errands later today so I will listen more intently when braking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If they're really bad they'll clunk over anything. Try slamming on the brakes from like 5mph.

rsscoggins

Reaction score
Yes some movement is 100% normal.

Every single member on this forum with a KJ can go outside and check and will have the same marks as you do.

Thanks everyone - mine doesn’t make any noise when braking or going over bumps so we can just chalk up the movement to good old Chrysler engineering...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Pretty normal for anything really. Even my new LR3 control arms have some movement...that's the point of rubber! If they didn't want movement they'd use steel.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone - mine doesn’t make any noise when braking or going over bumps so we can just chalk up the movement to good old Chrysler engineering...

And Ford engineering,GM engineering,toyota engineering,nissan engineering,honda engineering,and every vehicle with IFS and IRS.They all do the same thing if they have rubber bushings.