Front end KK to KJ swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ilikeitdirty

Reaction score
Will the front diff from a KK fit a KJ? If so, is it a simple bolt in replacement? I know the KJ is D30a isn't the KK a D30d or something? I noticed the KK's seems beefed up over the KJ's.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to swap?

b/c the KK front diffs have a little bit more beef to them and WAY more gears, b/c the use the same gears as a D30, one guy on here already rgeared to 4.56 which is not possible for the KJ front diff w/o a SFA :mad:

liv42dy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
understand, but unless oyu cracked the housing why replace it. even though I think your irght non swapable. I dont think you gain anything its stil alum.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will the front diff from a KK fit a KJ? If so, is it a simple bolt in replacement? I know the KJ is D30a isn't the KK a D30d or something? I noticed the KK's seems beefed up over the KJ's.
You'd have to get the engine cradle and all the mounts to be able to mount the KK's D30 in a KJ.The bottom of the KK's front diff has a mount and the KJ's cradle will not clear it.

It can be done but those cradles are not cheap.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
understand, but unless oyu cracked the housing why replace it. even though I think your irght non swapable. I dont think you gain anything its stil alum.

ya I agree with you but if I wanted to regear w/o doing a SFA this would be the way to go bc you have the choice of using 4.56 gears you are then only limited to the gears available for the C8.25"

ilikeitdirty

Reaction score
Is there anymore info on this cradle that would nee to be swapped out? Pictures?

Boblemoche

Reaction score
ya I agree with you but if I wanted to regear w/o doing a SFA this would be the way to go bc you have the choice of using 4.56 gears you are then only limited to the gears available for the C8.25"

4.88 is possible too

Is there anymore info on this cradle that would nee to be swapped out? Pictures?

the part just under the drive shaft with a F on it. this part go up and mount to the engine. It must be a major pita to swap

You must be registered for see images attach

ilikeitdirty

Reaction score
Thanks. I wonder how hard it would be and if it would really just bolt in.

claudio

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this from the past, but I went out and under my KJ, and only the rear of the differential changed, the front has the same 3 point attachment and the only change is the rear attachment, you can see the pictures of both differentials in this tread http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?p=352794

And I think that the rear attachment can be made, cut the a little to the rear of the cage, it already has a cut under the diferential and put the KK diferential with all the options, now the real question is, can you run bigger tires with the KK differential? at least 33 will be ok for the investment and problems that can be found.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this from the past, but I went out and under my KJ, and only the rear of the differential changed, the front has the same 3 point attachment and the only change is the rear attachment, you can see the pictures of both differentials in this tread http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?p=352794

And I think that the rear attachment can be made, cut the a little to the rear of the cage, it already has a cut under the diferential and put the KK diferential with all the options, now the real question is, can you run bigger tires with the KK differential? at least 33 will be ok for the investment and problems that can be found.

not as simple as you see it I don't think