front end bad squeek

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brn7508

Reaction score
hello all. please help!!! i have a 2005 liberty that has a bad squeek coming front under the front end. took it to the shop today and they said they cant pinpoint the problem so i should take it to the dealership!! the shop said it sounds like the noise is coming from the output shaft near the front of the transfer case. they checked the fluid level in the transfer case and it was clean and full. the squeek only happens after driving for 15 to 20 minutes and the car is heated up. i would compare the sound to an electric motor spinning with the bearings not getting oil. any hint on what it could be or where i should start? i would like to avoid the dealership. i can do most fixes on my own but not if i dont know whats wrong. please help!!! thanks for your time!!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man, I would also avoid that shop you went to if they can't find a squeak in person. A common failure is the rubber boot on the front driveshaft cv joint, transfer case end. The boot rips from age, grease slings out, water and dirt gets in, and.... you get the idea. Take a close look-see at that boot.

Last edited:

brn7508

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. yea that shop ****** me off. would that be something i could fix myself or is it complicated. ive also seen people say on these forums to take the front drive shaft off completely to see if that makes the noise stop. is that something you would recommend to try and pinpoint the prob? thanks again!!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the boot for a split, grab the driveshaft and try to move it up and down, and/or turn it. But if your boot is badly torn, you can rest assured the cv joint is trashed. It's not a difficult job to replace, depending on your mechanical skills. Do a search here, the procedure has been posted before.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
U joints also squeak when they are bad, check the ones on the rear driveshaft- look for the boots on the caps to be torn and leaking grease.

brn7508

Reaction score
thanks for your replies!! i took a look under the jeep when i got home from work and indeed the rubber boot on the front by the transfer case is basically gone and it looks like its been gone for awhile. i cant see any grease in the actual joint either. now the question is do i get a whole new drive shaft or do i just get a new cv joint and install it on the old one??? the rest of the drive shaft looks good? thanks again!! i cant believe the shop missed this, i can see the rubber boot is completly gone plain as day. this is why i try and do repairs on my own!!!

brn7508

Reaction score
the one at the local parts store is 170 bucks for the cv alone and 450 or so for the whole shaft, why so much? [Dorman parts] is it better quality or do they make that much mark up at the parts store? the one Leeann posted is 45 bucks and looks exactly the same, id much rather have that one and wait a few days for it to arrive then pay the extra $$$. LOL

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my front drive shaft for 170 not including the core charge at napa but I got the napa loyalty card so I get parts at a price that even my local shop can not beat.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
the one at the local parts store is 170 bucks for the cv alone and 450 or so for the whole shaft, why so much? [Dorman parts] is it better quality or do they make that much mark up at the parts store? the one Leeann posted is 45 bucks and looks exactly the same, id much rather have that one and wait a few days for it to arrive then pay the extra $$$. LOL

I have installed 7 or 8 of the one Leann listed for guys around here, they work great and last as long as the stock ones
You can go ahead and remove the front driveshaft and run it till you get the parts if you want