Front drive shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ONLY when I have 4WD engaged, I feel and hear this absolutely hideous metal scraping / clunking / grinding noise.. it sounds like a bearing or something is about 2 or 3 rotations away from complete failure or locking up.. but when 4WD is disengaged, it doesn't make a peep.

That's what my KJ did before the t-case failed. I thought it was the front drive shaft too, but it was fine. If you can, remove the shaft & engage 4WD, drive it & see if the noise is still there... if it is, t-case.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah which brings me to my next question.. is there any specific torque specs to go by or tightening pattern when putting this thing back in ?

Stole this from an FSM...

INSTALLATION​
(1) Install propeller shaft between companion
flanges.
(2) Align marks on the companion flanges with the
marks on the C/V joints.
(3) Install front C/V joint bolts and tighten to 30
N·m (22 ft. lbs.).
(4) Install rear C/V joint bolts and tighten to 30
N·m (22 ft. lbs.).​
(5) Lower vehicle

Don't overtorque, you may distort the flange. It doesn't mention a specific pattern so try the graduated method, say in 5ft/lb steps starting at 10ft/lbs and finishing at the 22ft/lbs.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what my KJ did before the t-case failed. I thought it was the front drive shaft too, but it was fine. If you can, remove the shaft & engage 4WD, drive it & see if the noise is still there... if it is, t-case.

Hes already removed the drive shaft, it was bad.

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 231, I used that opportunity to upgrade (depending on your point of view) to the 242.

Whoops, I didn't see that this went in to 2 pages. I just jumped right in!

How many miles did ti have on it? Mine came apart at 67000. Fluid was changed at 30 and 60.

03rubi&02libby

Reaction score
Not necessary to do anything with the exhaust on an '02 (not sure what the year of the OP's kj is). Just unbolt - 6 bolts front, 6 bolts rear, and wiggle the driveshaft out from above the exhaust. Done. Real easy.

ive read this from everyone that has removed their DS that it was easy,as my luck would have it i cant get mine out.i can slide the front part of the DS back and compress the boot but i cant get the rear of the DS to budge....all this to get the starter out

03rubi&02libby

Reaction score
well i pounded on it and pounded on it with a hammer (the cv joint i guess its called at each end of the differential DS) and it didnt do any good,so while looking at it and trying to figure out how to get this out i thought maybe i could pound it out with an old phillips screw driver from the back side where the bolts were threaded through but those holes were still lined up but there happened to be a hole there specifically for that purpose and it pounded right out and worked great so if there is anyone i could help with post that would be great since i come to these sites and get alot of useful information from people