Front CV Driveshaft Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockinRam96

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have any of you Liberty ow era ever converted the front CV drive shaft to a yoke and u-joint drive shaft?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First why ?
Second yes some did years ago and not with the greatest results
Third back to why ? The front driveshaft works great in the KJs , no real issues, easy to rebuild and cheap
Plus the angle never changes so no need to think it would help

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have to carry same amount of parts maybe even cheaper and way easier out on the trail to rebuild a CV over replacing a U joint , think about that for a moment
Plus just as strong in the long run really
There is a reason some tried it and it never really gained any popularity

RockinRam96

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to carry same amount of parts maybe even cheaper and way easier out on the trail to rebuild a CV over replacing a U joint , think about that for a moment
Plus just as strong in the long run really
There is a reason some tried it and it never really gained any popularity

I guess we’re not running huge tires on these things o I guess I can see where this axle will be enough.

Wish they had a grease fitting on the joints so the joints could be continuously greased.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
That’s the other nice thing about cv joints. There’s a ton of lube in the joint until the boot gets torn. At that point, adding more is pointless because it comes right back out.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I could do that. But then rebuilding in the field to just rebuild again once I get home. But at least it’ll get me home.
Why rebuild in field and again at home ?
I did one years ago for another LOST member while down in Daniel Boone National Forest , it was still good 4 years later when he sold it

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess we’re not running huge tires on these things o I guess I can see where this axle will be enough.

Wish they had a grease fitting on the joints so the joints could be continuously greased.
Do to where front driveshaft is and how it is located , the ones who tried U JOINT driveshaft had to remove them to grease them everytime anyways

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do the front driveshaft CV joints suffer from catastrophic failure, that i'm not aware of? mine went bad because the boot failed.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
do the front driveshaft CV joints suffer from catastrophic failure, that i'm not aware of? mine went bad because the boot failed.
Usually not catastrophic where it comes apart. It does develop play and sounds like chains dragging as it turns. By that point most people replace the CV joint before it completely goes boom.