Front Bumper Pockets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gfunkatoa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Just trying find dimensions of the openings in the bumper pockets. Seen some posts where guys are using tow bars bolted into the holes for the tow hooks, under the frame/unibody. I like the idea. Just wondering about mounting them inside the pockets. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the issue(s) i see with mounting them inside the pockets:

they would have to punch through the bumper to be accessible/useful, whereas mounting them underneath puts the d-rings almost exactly where you want them.

unless you are planning on building a custom bumper in conjunction with the tow hooks it would only be making more unneccessary work for yourself.

gfunkatoa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea. Plan is for stock bumper to be replaced with a stubby from a TJ. I figure notch the bumper for the tow bars to stick through and weld all around, front and back.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea. Plan is for stock bumper to be replaced with a stubby from a TJ. I figure notch the bumper for the tow bars to stick through and weld all around, front and back.

Please NO!! Do a proper fitting and looking bumper or keep it stock

Plus no real way to bolt them if you do that, one of the reasons they mount below and have the nuts inside there

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
He knows what he wants. What's the issue? That he is not taking your advice?

Bert

Here we go again, internet ****'s :happy175:
Explained why you can not do it that way , as someone else did as well
But hey he'll find out you just can stick a bar back in there and make it work right, much better ways to do it. If you place a bar back in there , no real way to fasten it, that why they all mount below or outside of that point and then have the nuts in there. Little reading goes a long ways.
Another example would be to use a piece of angle with the nuts welded on to that but he asked about something different
I've had a lot of them apart, mounted up several bumpers, measured, looked , designed etc so yes know a little of what may and may not work:emotions34:
Am I not allowed to voice an opinion on things ? :mexsmoke:
Now if I may continue :shrug::Bye:
Too near Christmas to be messing with Santa's helpers ............................:party52:

Last edited:

gfunkatoa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All respect to everyone's opinion, especially someone with the experience of Tom, but I've always believed there are more than ten ways to do anything. That doesn't make any of them more right or wrong than the others.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree to a point
Problem with a stubby bumper from a TJ is the fact you have a whole lot of frame on the KJ that sticks out and you can't cover with a stubby. Looks very unfinished . Frontal area of a KJ is a whole lot different than a Y J/ TJ or JK. Some of the full width may work and cover those frame areas

Here is what I am talking about when I ran just the Matrix Brush Guard for a while
You can see the frame areas ( under the parking lights ) on each end that a stubby won't cover , and no can't cut them off as you can on a body of frame setup
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

gfunkatoa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree. There is a lot of stuff out on the sides that ned civered for proper look. Thanks for the pic.

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
internet ****!? Oh Whatever. How do you know (Unless you know him personally) that he is not making a trail rig? Or that he has some other crazy cockamanee Idea. Or that he just doesn't care what it looks like! I too will agree that you are one of the most knowledgeable here about the liberty, but you posting the "shrug shoulders" and "laugh out loud" shows you get uppity when someone does not take what you say as :bowroflwerd6:

Bert

Rogue

Reaction score
internet ****!? Oh Whatever. How do you know (Unless you know him personally) that he is not making a trail rig? Or that he has some other crazy cockamanee Idea. Or that he just doesn't care what it looks like! I too will agree that you are one of the most knowledgeable here about the liberty, but you posting the "shrug shoulders" and "laugh out loud" shows you get uppity when someone does not take what you say as :bowroflwerd6:

Bert

And your not uppity? ITS A FORUM ! Every one posts what they think - within the rules of the forum. Your not the forum Police (Internet **** whatever's) and neither am I. Just get so tired of this!

Last edited: