Front axle nut socket size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I just discovered that my front driver's side axle seal is leaking. I saw a drop of oil on the driveway and upon further inspection it appears to be the axle seal.

What size is the axle nut? I am finding 2 different sizes on the internet; 35mm and 36mm. I hope it is 36 because I cannot find a 35 locally for purchase.

Thank you.

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well darn. I think I'll just take it in to get done then. Was quoted an hour which isn't too costly. I do need to buy the seal from the dealer. It seems nobody else can get it. Is there anything else in addition to the seal that I should get? Bearing, bushing or what ever it is called?

Thanks

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard that a 36mm will work on a 35mm.......YMMV

Mines a 35mm

Sent with the power of children's screams!!!

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Well darn. I think I'll just take it in to get done then. Was quoted an hour which isn't too costly. I do need to buy the seal from the dealer. It seems nobody else can get it. Is there anything else in addition to the seal that I should get? Bearing, bushing or what ever it is called?

Thanks

I personally wouldn't go changing anything else unless you have a symptom. If you have the shop do it, and you trust them, tell them to check things over carefully.

My philosophy has always been if it ain't broke don't fix it. Of course I've been known to break things while trying to fix them too. :shrug:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's a 35mm but a 36mm will work just fine, and won't round anything off. That's what I had in my toolbox from my old VW days, not an issue.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I haven't tried a 36mm although I have one for a different vehicle but I'd definitely trust CactusJacked and go for it. I know the hex design of my 36 shouldn't round anything off on a 35 nut.

Not sure what the options are in Canada but I think they carry the 35mm at quite a few parts places around here. Maybe order one from NAPA or PepBoys.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a 36mm as well youll be good

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
35mm is a common GM FWD car axle nut size also,there dime a dozen around here at any autoparts store.Some aftermarket CV's come with a 36mm axle nut for the KJ but OE is 35mm.

If you use a 36mm socket make damn sure it's a 6 point socket and do not use a impact.The torque is 175lbs-ft.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All my local autoparts places have 35 and 36mm sockets - Advanced Auto, Pep Boys, Autozone, NAPA...

I have both in my toy chest, but 35mm is what fits better.