Front Axle housing Broke....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blew mine with a Detroit True Trac in the front and a collar on.

I believe KJ04 is the only person to blow a front diff with a collar on. i'm not saying it's a cure all but for the price it's very good insurance. i've wheeled the snot out of mine and not blown it yet (knock on wood) and i have had a collar since wheeling day 1. A DTT or ARB is also a very good idea like TJKJ said. but one person who blew their diff with a collar out of a lot who didnt with collars seems to be good odds.

just saying it doesnt hurt :)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can drive whithout the front kardan and driveshafts. I know, because I did...
http://jeepetorp.blogg.se/2008/december/rosersberg-2712-08.html

The intresting thing is that there where no change in fuel consumtion...

Fuel economy wouldn't be affected since the aerodynamics and vehicle weight play a bigger role anyway. Even with those shafts in place the front diff and shafts are just spinning freely unless your in four wheel drive. Maybe a bit of parasitic drag on the vehicles forward momentum but not much.

Jeepetorp

Reaction score
I know that, but the funny thing is that for example Suzuki Vitara have free wheel hub because it gives better fuel economy. But I don´t believe that. (Suzuki... I had a moped that was a Suzuki)...

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I twisted a CV shaft in half right past the inner splines. (aftermarket NEW auto parts store one - GSP I think). I had the DTT in there, no collar. I thought for sure I'd busted the housing, but nope. I've abused mine fairly hard, and continue to, so it's just a matter of time...

I'm trying to get the housing that is broken (above) from NCjeepin to see if someone can fab a steel one (I'll even try myself). Worth a shot... I don't really need an SFA in the Libby. I plan on getting a Wrangler this winter when the prices drop. But I'd like to have that aluminum diff out of there.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get the housing that is broken (above) from NCjeepin to see if someone can fab a steel one (I'll even try myself). Worth a shot... I don't really need an SFA in the Libby. I plan on getting a Wrangler this winter when the prices drop. But I'd like to have that aluminum diff out of there.
You will get sticker shock that makes my parts list for SFA seem like like chump change to make one steel/cast version of the D30A and have all the machining done.Already looked into and the 1st one(prototype) would run about $30,000 or so,if you ordered 1000 units it would drop that 1000 units(not the 1st one though,that is needed to made the mold) to around $2000 each after machining is done.Oh and all of those prices where from about 2 years ago and also looked into cutting down a reagular D30 solid axle to work but that would be alot of money also since some custom made parts will be needed and will not be cheap.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I guess his Jeep does not have ESP/BAS? I guess I should not have to worry about this happening to me, with ESP/BAS - it won't allow one wheel to spin anyway; it will apply the brake to that wheel automatically.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I would rather burn brakes than a Diff housing. I think brake pads are much, MUCH easier and less expensive to install...

When it malfunctions though, it *****, which has happened so me. Dunno why, was weight in the vehicle, BAS kept putting on the brakes driving, then I would have to turn it off, then it would Error out. After unloading all the cargo and people? Was fine, aand still is... Got to have been the clock spring angle sensor with a false reading due to the weight inside the jeep.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would rather burn brakes than a Diff housing. I think brake pads are much, MUCH easier and less expensive to install...

When it malfunctions though, it *****, which has happened so me. Dunno why, was weight in the vehicle, BAS kept putting on the brakes driving, then I would have to turn it off, then it would Error out. After unloading all the cargo and people? Was fine, aand still is... Got to have been the clock spring angle sensor with a false reading due to the weight inside the jeep.
I'd rather bust a front diff then loose my brakes from being overheated,brakes are a little more important then a front diff when going down some pretty steep downhill sections where not having good brakes would mean you'd be at the bottom of a ravine dead.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd rather bust a front diff then loose my brakes from being overheated,brakes are a little more important then a front diff when going down some pretty steep downhill sections where not having good brakes would mean you'd be at the bottom of a ravine dead.

I agree....I can descend a steep grade in 2wd with good brakes safer then in 4wd with our front brakes...

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I don't drive by any ravines, so I'm pretty safe...

Besides, we're talking about one tire being up, then coming down, catching, and splitting the diff. With BAS, that won't happen, the tire that's up off the ground would already be stopped by the brake (single, not PLURAL). I don't know WHERE the overheating comes from, the guy posted about what happened with ONE tire, then BOOM. So, one side overheats? It wasn't up in the air long enough was it? We were not talking about going down a hill, and getting killed in a ravine; so you made that up yourself, and don't know WHY you made up a scenario that is not the subject...

It was about "the shock of getting one wheel airborne and then back down and gripping while still under load" right? You took it somewhere totally off base, like going down a hill, when that was not what this was about. You changed the conditions, and well, that was not the condition...

So, again, with BAS, that would not happen, the shock of that wheel coming down under load. No hill or ravine in the original posters subject...

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't drive by any ravines, so I'm pretty safe...

Besides, we're talking about one tire being up, then coming down, catching, and splitting the diff. With BAS, that won't happen, the tire that's up off the ground would already be stopped by the brake (single, not PLURAL). I don't know WHERE the overheating comes from, the guy posted about what happened with ONE tire, then BOOM. So, one side overheats? It wasn't up in the air long enough was it? We were not talking about going down a hill, and getting killed in a ravine; so you made that up yourself, and don't know WHY you made up a scenario that is not the subject...

It was about "the shock of getting one wheel airborne and then back down and gripping while still under load" right? You took it somewhere totally off base, like going down a hill, when that was not what this was about. You changed the conditions, and well, that was not the condition...

So, again, with BAS, that would not happen, the shock of that wheel coming down under load. No hill or ravine in the original posters subject...
Well you must never leave the mall parking lot but when I wheel one of my front tires lifts off the ground at least once every few minutes,that's alot of braking action which heats up the brakes pretty fast and they really do not cool down that much when traveling 2mph.JK guys have had some big issues with ESP and traction control overheating there brakes and having major brake fade.Also if your wheels are not turning no forward progression is happening.Install a ARB and one flip of a switch and no brakes needed to keep that one airborn wheel from free wheeling and causing a shock load and still have plenty of brakes to safely make it home.Just because you have one of those techno gizmo's does not compensate for driving ability and a good locker.Oh and you never know when you will have a nice downhill descent after overheating your brakes from ESP/traction control activating to much.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have ESP and I replaced my first set of rear brakes at 41K. My front brakes are still fine. Might have something to due with the KJ spending it's first 30K with the ST's in WASHINGTON keeping the ESP freaking the heck out. Troy, in your opinion is the Aussie locker better than ESP for the time being. I was thinking about trading or selling my D30 DTT to get one.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have ESP and I replaced my first set of rear brakes at 41K. My front brakes are still fine. Might have something to due with the KJ spending it's first 30K with the ST's in WASHINGTON keeping the ESP freaking the heck out. Troy, in your opinion is the Aussie locker better than ESP for the time being. I was thinking about trading or selling my D30 DTT to get one.
Well you can't use a aussie in the D30A,the DTT is way better anyways even though it is only a LSD.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
tjkj2002: I am not at the MALL, so how am I not leaving the parking lot? Where do you get your ideas from? What mall parking lot am I at, that I never leave? A parking lot is the same as my parking space, no? It's flat, in fact VERY flat, so no wheels leaving the ground. You're still off on a tangent, changing the subject... Still, I would rather change brake pads than a differential, yep, I would I would... Well, see ya..., I'm going down a hill with faded brakes, and a ravine is fast approaching...

Status
Not open for further replies.