Front and rear diff oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scld1354

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. i am new to the forums. I bought my first Jeep (2006 Liberty, 3.7L, 42RLE, NP231) last July. I bought it used from Carmax, and I didn't get the owner's manuals with it. There is a lot of great info on this site, but I was still unable to find some stuff.

I just changed the engine oil, ****** fluid, and T-case fluid. Next weekend I am going to change the front and read diff fluids. What fluid do I use? How do I know if I have a trac-loc or not (for the friction modifier)? I don't drive it hard, and I don't tow either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jon

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
If you have trac-loc you can look on the driver side on the rear axle and a green tag will say what you have!

I used Val. Full Syn. 75w140 in my rear diff.
Cant talk for front diff. i dont have one!

BTW....(welcome)

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am almost certain the manual says 75-140 for the front and 75-90 for the rear.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the front is crazy easy to change, don't even have to pull the diff cover. I liked it heh

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suggestion that will save you frustration. Spend a few bucks on a hand pump. Filling the front and back straight from the bottle is a pain.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used the same as above for the rear and used full SYN..75-90 for the front.

Sure you got that right?

If you have trac-loc you can look on the driver side on the rear axle and a green tag will say what you have!

I used Val. Full Syn. 75w140 in my rear diff.
Cant talk for front diff. i dont have one!

BTW....(welcome)

My paper tag has been long gone. If the metal tags are still there, they may help answer the question. Way to man up.:D

I am almost certain the manual says 75-140 for the front and 75-90 for the rear.

75W-140 in both if you have tac-loc + the friction modifier. 75W-90 in the rear without. But, that said, you could just run 75W-140 in both.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suggestion that will save you frustration. Spend a few bucks on a hand pump. Filling the front and back straight from the bottle is a pain.

I stuck a rubber hose that fits over the cap on a gear oil bottle and just fill it that way...works but ya does take a little bit.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Hello all. i am new to the forums. I bought my first Jeep (2006 Liberty, 3.7L, 42RLE, NP231) last July. I bought it used from Carmax, and I didn't get the owner's manuals with it. There is a lot of great info on this site, but I was still unable to find some stuff.

I just changed the engine oil, ****** fluid, and T-case fluid. Next weekend I am going to change the front and read diff fluids. What fluid do I use? How do I know if I have a trac-loc or not (for the friction modifier)? I don't drive it hard, and I don't tow either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jon

Did you by chance look in the hidden compartment in the glove box for your owners manual?
The one that almost all KJ owners didn't know about?

It is tuckrd up at the top of the glove box in it's own little slot!

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you by chance look in the hidden compartment in the glove box for your owners manual?
The one that almost all KJ owners didn't know about?

It is tuckrd up at the top of the glove box in it's own little slot!

I'll have to look for that! heh

scld1354

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. I am more confused now than I was earlier. People are running 75W-90, 75W-140, and 80W-90 in the front, and 75W-90 and 75W-140 in the rear... I will look for the hidden owner's manual. I take it everyone is running full synthetic?

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. I am more confused now than I was earlier. People are running 75W-90, 75W-140, and 80W-90 in the front, and 75W-90 and 75W-140 in the rear... I will look for the hidden owner's manual. I take it everyone is running full synthetic?

Do you tow a trailer or offroad?
If yes, then 75w-140 in the rear and 75w-140 in the front.

If no, then 75w-90 front and rear and you should be good! And ya i think everybody is just about running full syn.!

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The how to must of been where I got my numbers from, not the manual.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Jon
I have an extra owner's manual for a 2005. Should be the same for 2006. It is yours if you want it. PM me if you do.

I also missed the little hidden compartment when I purchased mine (hence the reason why I have an extra.lol).

Last edited:

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also download a manual from the Jeep site.

scld1354

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not think to look in the "how to" forums. I will keep that in mind for next time. The sticky just says which ones will work, not specifically which one to use. Again, even reading through this forum, it seems that people are using each kind. The local dealer said to use 75W-140 syn in the rear and in the front (if I tow). I think I'm going to error on the side of caution and use the 75W-140 for both.

The slot above the glove box is empty....

The only thing I don't really know is if I have the trac-loc. I could not find any tags on any part of the rear axle. Is there somewhere else i could look?

Thanks again

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Do you have a 2nd vehicle?
If yes, then remove the rear diff. cover and you can tell if its open or not!