From 2HI to 4HI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive tried just using the lever without engaging the clutch and it shifts good and doesnt sound bad. But still, Im used to clutching when changing gear. And putting it in 4HI is kind of changing a gear.
But i guess the front wheels are already rotating at the same speed as the rear tires, so they should sync up with or without clutch.

Stig, as you no doubt have figured out, you don't need to pop the clutch to put it in 4 HI. When going into N or 4 LO you do need to be out of gear and rolling no faster then 5 MPH.

Nikko

Reaction score
So nobody knows if you have to engage the clutch to change from 2HI to 4HI on a manual transmission?

No you don't need to press clutch when changing from 2HI to 4HI.

I have a uk spec 2.5 crd manual and all i do i lift of the accelarator and pull up the lever. I have done it up to about 35MPH. I also try to be going in a straight line when i do it cos if you are on snow/gravel going sideways when you pull the lever it will kick back into a straight line.

Nick.

Members online

No members online now.