From 2HI to 4HI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stig

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a 2002 4WD KJ a couple months ago, but now as the snow and winter frost starts coming the 4wd comes in handy.

I have a 5sp manual and the 4wd lever goes from 2HI - 4HI- N - 4LO

So the question:
When I engage 4HI from 2HI, would I use clutch or can i just pull it as I drive normally? I read in the manual that you can go from 2hi to 4hi up to 88km/h.

Thanx, and greetings from Norway!
poke.gif

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I bought a 2002 4WD KJ a couple months ago, but now as the snow and winter frost starts coming the 4wd comes in handy.

I have a 5sp manual and the 4wd lever goes from 2HI - 4HI- N - 4LO

So the question:
When I engage 4HI from 2HI, would I use clutch or can i just pull it as I drive normally? I read in the manual that you can go from 2hi to 4hi up to 88km/h.

Thanx, and greetings from Norway!
poke.gif

With auto trans,I just pull lever into 4hi,never tried it at any speed over 10-15 mph.
Hey from Kentucky,guess you have snow already?

Last edited:

Stig

Reaction score
With auto trans,I just pull lever into 4hi,never tried it at any speed over 10-15 mph.
Hey from Kentucky,guess you have snow already?

Yeah thats how i figure the "on the fly" expression too, but better safe than sorry? and you got auto trannie, i got a manual.

but yeah, ive had the chance to play around in 20-30 cm snow a couple times allready but ill have to drive to a bit higher grounds than where I live.. but the snow keeps getting closer to "civilization" :)

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Can shift to 4hi on the fly up to 55MPH. Do not on DRY pavement... Do not use 4hi on DRY pavement. It is PART TIME, for slippery conditions... I have done it a 45 to test, was ok. I got a warranty, and nothing should happen when shifting on the fly under 55Mph, om snow or wet roads.

Boiler

Reaction score
I forget, isn't there a recommended maximum cruising speed for 4 hi? Not the shifting speed mind you...

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I forget, isn't there a recommended maximum cruising speed for 4 hi? Not the shifting speed mind you...

Well, there was a person here who went 70MPH with theirs in 4hi, on dry pavement, and blew the transfer case. Also? There is no sense in going over 55 in bad conditions anyway. Besides, If it is safe enough that you can go over 60MPH, then there's no sense in having 4WD engaged, is there?

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nope....just as fast as the conditions permit.
Actually you shouldn't go faster than 88Km/h(54mph) in 4Hi. If you go faster, you could damage the transfer case. The only mode that allows you to go as fast as you want is 4Full-time but that's only available on the Selec-trac transfer case.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hm...I'm pretty sure my manual says as fast as the conditions permit in 4 hi....hm...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
So nobody knows if you have to engage the clutch to change from 2HI to 4HI on a manual transmission?

Most of us (including me) have the A/T.

But I don't see why you would have to use the clutch on a standard ****** to shift the transfer case from 2hi to 4hi. You should be fine just pulling the lever into 4hi while you are moving (up to 55mph as the owners manual says) without using the clutch in the standard ******.

Dave

Last edited:

Blue KJ in PA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with Dave...was trying to remember what an old friend from HS did in his XJ that had a stick shift and command trac...pretty sure he just moved the transfercase shifter in and out as needed.

Does the owners manual not give the specifics for using the 4wd and a stick shift?

Stig

Reaction score
Ive tried just using the lever without engaging the clutch and it shifts good and doesnt sound bad. But still, Im used to clutching when changing gear. And putting it in 4HI is kind of changing a gear.
But i guess the front wheels are already rotating at the same speed as the rear tires, so they should sync up with or without clutch.

Blue KJ in PA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4Hi you can pop in and out of as you need to...for 4lo us with automatics need to pop the trans into N and let the KJ roll at about 5mph.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
I know on my KK, you CAN shift in to 4hi with out the clutch, however I still clutch it...

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know on my KK, you CAN shift in to 4hi with out the clutch, however I still clutch it...
The KK has Selec-trac II which is an electronic based 4wd system. It might have the same modes as Selec-trac, but it's quite different mechanically.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KK has Selec-trac II which is an electronic based 4wd system. It might have the same modes as Selec-trac, but it's quite different mechanically.
Actually besides the missing 4hi part the the select trac II is just about the same mechanically as the original select trac.The other major(mechanically) difference is how the t-case is shifted,the select trac II shifts via electric motor and that's it.There are no fancy electronic gizmo's in the select trac II that the original selec trac has(which is none) besides the electric shift mechinism.