Free Recall Hitch question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They'll probably make you come back a second time for the wiring. When I got mine (just last week) I was handed a preprinted form from Chrysler stating it was "gas tank protection only" and the vehicle had not been modified in any manner for towing - no HD cooling system, transmission cooler, or wiring for trailer lights.

Ha. That sounds like the lawyers got involved.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They'll probably make you come back a second time for the wiring. When I got mine (just last week) I was handed a preprinted form from Chrysler stating it was "gas tank protection only" and the vehicle had not been modified in any manner for towing - no HD cooling system, transmission cooler, or wiring for trailer lights.

They won't do the wiring. This is just gas tank protection and labeled as "not for towing".

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They won't do the wiring. This is just gas tank protection and labeled as "not for towing".

Seriously???

It is one of their trailer hitches though, isn't it? *scratches head*

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might as well go to a hitch shop to have them wire it up for you, I was quoted $100 for the correct wiring kit and install up here in Canada!

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously???

It is one of their trailer hitches though, isn't it? *scratches head*

Its just a liability thing, They don't want anyone thinking they can automatically tow 5000lbs and going after them if something happens.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might as well go to a hitch shop to have them wire it up for you, I was quoted $100 for the correct wiring kit and install up here in Canada!

Well... I just figured, as long as they had it on the lift and were in there, they might want to make some easy money. I haven't talked to them yet, so who knows. The dealer I used to use near me (when it was under warranty) is long gone and now there is a new dealer (part of a large group of dealers) in another location relatively convenient to me, so we'll see what they say.

Back in the day, I had to repair trailer wiring on brand new trailers the motorcycle shop I worked in used to sell (yes, they were cheap and the wiring never worked as delivered), so it isn't like the job would be completely alien to me. I just didn't want to futz with it if I didn't have to.

Is there some kind of plug on the '02 Liberty behind a panel or something that the trailer harness connects to?

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its just a liability thing, They don't want anyone thinking they can automatically tow 5000lbs and going after them if something happens.

Sounds reasonable. I would be terrified of towing anything large and heavy behind it anyway. Maybe I can convince them to do it on two separate work orders or something.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... I just figured, as long as they had it on the lift and were in there, they might want to make some easy money. I haven't talked to them yet, so who knows. The dealer I used to use near me (when it was under warranty) is long gone and now there is a new dealer (part of a large group of dealers) in another location relatively convenient to me, so we'll see what they say.

Back in the day, I had to repair trailer wiring on brand new trailers the motorcycle shop I worked in used to sell (yes, they were cheap and the wiring never worked as delivered), so it isn't like the job would be completely alien to me. I just didn't want to futz with it if I didn't have to.

Is there some kind of plug on the '02 Liberty behind a panel or something that the trailer harness connects to?

On yours if you just want a flat four plug then you plug right in behind the right rear panel in the cargo area . VERY easy to do

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On yours if you just want a flat four plug then you plug right in behind the right rear panel in the cargo area . VERY easy to do

Aha! Excellent info. Thanks so much for that.

A flat 4 plug is the kind that covers tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals, right? I have no need to use anything heavy enough to have trailer brakes, etc.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score

When I called the local dealer to have the recall scheduled, the service manager asked me if I'd also like them to install the wiring for trailer lights. I declined, as I'll do it myself if we ever need to tow with the KJ, but it was a service that he offered.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I called the local dealer to have the recall scheduled, the service manager asked me if I'd also like them to install the wiring for trailer lights. I declined, as I'll do it myself if we ever need to tow with the KJ, but it was a service that he offered.

Oh, good to know that they're not all marching in lock-step. I mean, if it is .25 hours to install the harness, I'll let 'em. *shrug*

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
It's easier than it looks (hey, I did it...). Mostly plug and pray and I tapped power off the extra ciggie jack in the back to avoid running a wire clear to the battery. After that, find a ground somewhere and you're done. (I tapped into the body behind a taillight. Easy peasy.) Took me about a half hour to install and I was in no rush. I also lucked out and got an open box and only paid $45.

Used it three times in the last three months for a total of about 900 miles traveled without a problem. :waytogo:

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all of the replies, everyone! I will have them put on the hitch and then attempt the harness myself.

Should I stick with the Mopar harness, or is there something easier or better?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all of the replies, everyone! I will have them put on the hitch and then attempt the harness myself.

Should I stick with the Mopar harness, or is there something easier or better?

The Mopar is the easiest - truly plug and play. If you just need the 4-flat plug it will be the simplest of all. No splicing, soldering or cutting - just plug it in behind the right rear interior panel, clip it in underneath the body in the holes provided and you're good to go :waytogo:

Bob

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Mopar is the easiest - truly plug and play. If you just need the 4-flat plug it will be the simplest of all. No splicing, soldering or cutting - just plug it in behind the right rear interior panel, clip it in underneath the body in the holes provided and you're good to go :waytogo:

Bob

Awesome. Thank you so much! :waytogo:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited: