Freaking keep getting locked out my Jeep!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No kidding...all trying to figure this thing out from afar. Amazing the Dealer didn't try a few more things real time (like resetting the computer...maybe it's scrambled). The mysterious part is why only the drivers door? Ours only locks the rear hatch when driven, never the 4 doors. A real head scratcher. But like your idea...seems to point to a "computer" glitch.

Do some tests. While you are driving pull the lock up. Then time it to see when it locks again. Once you know the time it takes to lock again, park it and open your door and time it again. See if its the same. If it behaves the same driving or parked, I believe the KJ thinks its in drive still. At least it would rule it out. We are all problem solvers, can you tell?
DEALER told me oh its a safety thing, ********* he tried to say like if I get out my car and it locks instantly so like if you leave your baby or purse in there!
okay did some tests today
when first get in my car unlock, shut door, key in, drive, once i fit 5mph all doors lock.

DRIVING: if i unlock it by the button it unlocks then not even 1 sec later locked again
Driving: If i pull the lock it stays up, but when i go to park it and i put it in Park I saw it lock

when i park WITH KEYS IN I open my door it unlocks then when i close it 1 sec, locked (driver door only)
when i park TAKE KEYS OUT, open door it unlocks, close it 1 sec, locked (drivers only)
other doors i tryed with they all lock at 5 mph and stay unlocked till i lock them and when i shut door they stay unlocked!!!

Last edited:

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DEALER told me oh its a safety thing, ********* he tried to say like if I get out my car and it locks instantly so like if you leave your baby or purse in there!
okay did some tests today
when first get in my car unlock, shut door, key in, drive, once i fit 5mph all doors lock.

DRIVING: if i unlock it by the button it unlocks then not even 1 sec later locked again
Driving: If i pull the lock it stays up, but when i go to park it and i put it in Park I saw it lock

when i park WITH KEYS IN I open my door it unlocks then when i close it 1 sec, locked (driver door only)
when i park TAKE KEYS OUT, open door it unlocks, close it 1 sec, locked (drivers only)
other doors i tryed with they all lock at 5 mph and stay unlocked till i lock them and when i shut door they stay unlocked!!!

Ok, nice job...this is helpful. The 5mph locking (which is fully annoying, but s.b. 15mph) is a telltale sign something is up. The good news is all this can be customized by you with a sequence, or at the dealer. When we had the rolling locks reprogrammed "off", we also had our dealer turn off the annoying seatbelt (not fastened) chime.

Better theory: Just read my 2007 Owners Manual...does your vehicle have an alarm/security system? Only the driver side door has an automatic Security System door lock cylinder (none on any other door). This thing thinks it needs to lock all doors once you exit (unless manually unlocking). Look in your Owners Manual (near the front) for the programming text to fix this (or see the dealer). I'd bet my lunch the security system is doing this (if you read the Manual it explains why.) :pp:

Last edited:

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...does your vehicle have an alarm/security system? Only the driver side door has an automatic Security System door lock cylinder (none on any other door). This thing thinks it needs to lock all doors once you exit (unless manually unlocking). :pp:

Just curious on the outcome...whether the alarm is the cause?

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so UPDATE my remote battery went dead i replaced it, and heres the AWSOME part now when i get out the car all doors lock so i think its the remote??? but i did get a spear key and put it in my tire cover so if i get locked out again (2 times since last post)

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so UPDATE my remote battery went dead i replaced it, and heres the AWSOME part now when i get out the car all doors lock so i think its the remote??? but i did get a spear key and put it in my tire cover so if i get locked out again (2 times since last post)

Changing the keyless battery out causing all the doors to lock?? Weird. Sounds like the keyless interlock working in reverse (assuming it's not the alarm - if you have one.) Either that or the car is possessed and messing with you. :disgust: Here's a thought: Take the battery out of the remote, leave the keys in the car, then shut the door. What happens? Can't be the FOB then but the keyless receiver.

Last edited:

widwesternjeepz

Reaction score
Try getting another FOB off ebay and program it... Then pull the battery out of the original and see if it behaves for a few days without that original FOB in the mix. I have had weird keyfob issues with vehicles i worked on before, it happens.

Also... Around here we have what has caught on as the winter key solution... You get a keychain separator, you put just a key on one side, and the fob and your house keys and even a spare vehicle key on the other side. Now you just start it with the single key side, when you wanna get out and leave it running and even lock it you pop that separator and take the fob and spare key and house keys, mailbox key, etc, with you and close the door and hit lock on the fob and your good to go. Thats what i do with my jeep and so does my friends.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try getting another FOB off ebay and program it... Then pull the battery out of the original and see if it behaves for a few days without that original FOB in the mix. I have had weird keyfob issues with vehicles i worked on before, it happens.

Also... Around here we have what has caught on as the winter key solution... You get a keychain separator, you put just a key on one side, and the fob and your house keys and even a spare vehicle key on the other side. Now you just start it with the single key side, when you wanna get out and leave it running and even lock it you pop that separator and take the fob and spare key and house keys, mailbox key, etc, with you and close the door and hit lock on the fob and your good to go. Thats what i do with my jeep and so does my friends.

some one told me something like this before but like a magnet holds it together n when i get out the car just grab n go but i cant find no key chains like this at any local stores

also will try what you said tomorrow paul