Freaking keep getting locked out my Jeep!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:favorites68:so I had a 2002 libby I could leave it running go in pay for gas get back in and go or run in my house but the first day I got my 2006 it freaking locked me out!!! and I thought good way to teach me not to leave my keys in the car now I've been locked out of it 4 times already!!! in a month today was the 4th time and I'm sick of it how do I turn it off?:favorites68::favorites68::favorites68: I lock it every time I get out of it when I'm not just running in, so I'm not scared it will get stolen!

UPDATE I know there has to be away to turn it off, if theres away to turn of the seat belt chime then I know theres away to turn this off

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know in my '02 you can not lock the doors if the key is in the ignition with the engine running,well at least with the power door lock but will manually only.

Point is take the keys out before you close the door.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, you get out of your running KJ and when you come back the doors are locked?

Yes I don't see why they lock after I get out they should lock when put in any gear but park n unlock when put in park....n my 02 if the keys were in and it was started and someone inside the jeep locked it my driver door would lock then it would unlock unless put in drive

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone's messing with you.

Look in the manual to turn off all the auto lock options and see what happens. Maybe the shift linkage is off and it thinks it's in drive. Long shot but just throwing that out there.

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a key made at Walmart, it will not be chipped, however it will unlock the doors and let you in, maybe costs a few dollars, and get a magnetic case, and hide the key inside and put it some where on the jeep, for example inside spare tire cover...and then if you get locked out, get the spare key and your in again...

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When this happens are the lights flashing and/or the horn chirping as if you hit the lock on the kepfob? If so maybe the fob is acting up, "ditto" to the suggestion to reprogram your keyfob (or pull the battery for a minute or so.) If not, I would disconnect the Jeep battery and wait 15 minutes...that might reset anything weird going on. BTW, and unless this is only unique to your year, putting the shift into Drive doesnt lock all the doors, just rear hatch, so a shifter positon sensor is likely not the problem. Otherwise I would check the "lock" switches...maybe there's a short in one of them which activates the locks when you close the door.

RussWhite

Reaction score
I wanted a key to leave in the ignition when I tow my Liberty that would not start the car. In other words, a key without a chip. So I purchased one on Ebay for a very small price and took it to Home Depot to see if they would cut it for me. After advising me that it would not start the car and my saying that was okay, it was cut. I stood there holding my hand out for the little piece of paper to give to the checkout person. The guy says, "No charge! We only charge when we sell the blank". How's that for a lucky break? Russ

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a key made at Walmart, it will not be chipped, however it will unlock the doors and let you in, maybe costs a few dollars, and get a magnetic case, and hide the key inside and put it some where on the jeep, for example inside spare tire cover...and then if you get locked out, get the spare key and your in again...

Hey Caitlyn,

I was bored this morning so I read through a 2006 owners manual to see
if I could find what's happening...

I can't find sweet F:favorites68: All!

The only thing I can suggest is what richar43 said.
Get a spare key cut

I wanted a key to leave in the ignition when I tow my Liberty that would not start the car. In other words, a key without a chip. So I purchased one on Ebay for a very small price and took it to Home Depot to see if they would cut it for me. After advising me that it would not start the car and my saying that was okay, it was cut. I stood there holding my hand out for the little piece of paper to give to the checkout person. The guy says, "No charge! We only charge when we sell the blank". How's that for a lucky break? Russ

Thanks richar43, Ry' N Jen, and RussWhite!
I will see if I can do this, I've had a key made from Walmart before for my first car lol a Honda but it wasn't a chipped key so I didn't know if they would work or if Walmart would do it, but I have seen the older style keys for jeep on ebay for cheap so I guess home depo will be seeing me soon, good idea on tire cover I was thinking it might fall off if I put some where else....lol thanks Ry' Jen for looking it up!!!

lol P.S. funny story today!! so my friends and I decided let go hit some trails!! and well long story short lol I ran out of gas trying to make it back to the road lol so we all jumped in my friends wraggler and when we got back I realized again my keys are in the car lol!!!:Stupid Me: good thing my windows were down a little so we popped the lock

When this happens are the lights flashing and/or the horn chirping as if you hit the lock on the kepfob? If so maybe the fob is acting up, "ditto" to the suggestion to reprogram your keyfob (or pull the battery for a minute or so.) If not, I would disconnect the Jeep battery and wait 15 minutes...that might reset anything weird going on. BTW, and unless this is only unique to your year, putting the shift into Drive doesnt lock all the doors, just rear hatch, so a shifter positon sensor is likely not the problem. Otherwise I would check the "lock" switches...maybe there's a short in one of them which activates the locks when you close the door.

Paul M..nope nothing I went to the dealer ship and showed them what it does when i get out it unlocks and when i shut the door it locks again the people at Dodge didn't know what to do about it but no chimes no lights flash

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul M..nope nothing I went to the dealer ship and showed them what it does when i get out it unlocks and when i shut the door it locks again the people at Dodge didn't know what to do about it but no chimes no lights flash

Okay, narrows it a bit. So, to know for sure the door switch (and wires) are not shorting: If you exit the passenger side door (and leave the drivers door closed) does it lock on it's own? If not, then maybe the drivers door switch/wiring is shorting or contacting each other when closing. Did you or the previous owner ever pull the door panel (speakers, window regulator repair, etc.)? If so maybe someone messed up something that is causing this.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, it sounds to me like the gear selector seems to think it is in D all the time, or maybe the relay to the locks have been shorted or bypassed to make it think this.

archep

Reaction score
i have had the same problem for a while and what i just really did was i got myself a spare key and it was the best and convenient solution for me since i did not have time to read the manual i was always on the go!LOL so i could just imagine if it happened to me when i really needed to get going, that was why i opted for a quick fix

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, narrows it a bit. So, to know for sure the door switch (and wires) are not shorting: If you exit the passenger side door (and leave the drivers door closed) does it lock on it's own? If not, then maybe the drivers door switch/wiring is shorting or contacting each other when closing. Did you or the previous owner ever pull the door panel (speakers, window regulator repair, etc.)? If so maybe someone messed up something that is causing this.

well I know the girl who traded it in and from what I remember she babied it took great care of it and left it all stock and I've never had a problem with windows, so I dont think she ever messed with it either and there has only been 2 owners her n me, but today I tried what you said and the passenger door unlocks and stays unlocked

but I did order my jeep key from ebay $4.99 deal

Last edited:

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I know the girl who traded it in and from what I remember she babied it took great care of it and left it all stock and I've never had a problem with windows, so I dont think she ever messed with it either and there has only been 2 owners her n me, but today I tried what you said and the passenger door unlocks and stays unlocked

but I did order my jeep key from ebay $4.99 deal

Now I am suspecting the locking is due to the driver's door switch or wiring when you close the door. Does it lock instantly (as if hitting the FOB button) or is there a delay? What happens when you leave the driver side door open (don't shut it after leaving)? Does it lock? If not then the action of shutting the door is causing the problem. Good insurance with the extra key, albeit inconvenient.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I am suspecting the locking is due to the driver's door switch or wiring when you close the door. Does it lock instantly (as if hitting the FOB button) or is there a delay? What happens when you leave the driver side door open (don't shut it after leaving)? Does it lock? If not then the action of shutting the door is causing the problem. Good insurance with the extra key, albeit inconvenient.

Yes like today i ran in to work and just left the door open and when i got back it was locked

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do some tests. While you are driving pull the lock up. Then time it to see when it locks again. Once you know the time it takes to lock again, park it and open your door and time it again. See if its the same. If it behaves the same driving or parked, I believe the KJ thinks its in drive still. At least it would rule it out. We are all problem solvers, can you tell?

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do some tests. While you are driving pull the lock up. Then time it to see when it locks again. Once you know the time it takes to lock again, park it and open your door and time it again. See if its the same. If it behaves the same driving or parked, I believe the KJ thinks its in drive still. At least it would rule it out. We are all problem solvers, can you tell?

No kidding...all trying to figure this thing out from afar. Amazing the Dealer didn't try a few more things real time (like resetting the computer...maybe it's scrambled). The mysterious part is why only the drivers door? Ours only locks the rear hatch when driven, never the 4 doors. A real head scratcher. But like your idea...seems to point to a "computer" glitch.