Found something in the ****** pan...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJedmonton

Reaction score
So I was having my Coolant done today at a local Lube place, and while there decided to have them drop the tanny pan and do a filter/fluid change and this was found on the Pan magnet
You must be registered for see images attach

So im just wondering how bad this is and what I should do? I have not notice any changes in driving, except its allot quieter, and less clunky to drive now after the change.???:confused::confused::confused: There is a dent on the Pan from who ever owned the Jeep before me, and the guy's at the Lube place all think that thats how it happened but do not know what it is and did not find any other damage while doing the change...

Thanks
James.

Last edited:

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Thats the valve body in its entirety! ( just for you TBJ)

maybe part of the park pin? If its working im not sure id worry too much.
TJKJ and TBJ will have more educated answers.... well TJKJ will have an educated answer
lol

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well 1st I hope they used HOAT coolant only,universal or all makes/model coolants do not belong in your KJ,same goes for the trans,hope they put only true ATF+4 in it and no DEXIII with a additive is not even close to ATF+4.

For the chunk in your pan that looks like part of a snap ring or a part of one of the clutch disc(the metal part).

If they used the wrong ATF in your trans I wouldn't worry,let it blow apart then that shop will have to fix it for free from using the wrong ATF.Hope they didn't document that chunk in the paperwork though,could slow there paying the bill process down some.

KJedmonton

Reaction score
Well 1st I hope they used HOAT coolant only,universal or all makes/model coolants do not belong in your KJ,same goes for the trans,hope they put only true ATF+4 in it and no DEXIII with a additive is not even close to ATF+4.

For the chunk in your pan that looks like part of a snap ring or a part of one of the clutch disc(the metal part).

If they used the wrong ATF in your trans I wouldn't worry,let it blow apart then that shop will have to fix it for free from using the wrong ATF.Hope they didn't document that chunk in the paperwork though,could slow there paying the bill process down some.

:( RRRRRRRR, well this will be a costly mistake i guess, I was told by the place that it was ATF +4 but now looking at the bill I don't think I believe them, and the coolant does not say... So I guess its going to have to go to the dealer to have both flushed??? this *****, but I guess its my own fault... Thanks for the help.](*,)

So should I also be freaking out about that frag they found?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:( RRRRRRRR, well this will be a costly mistake i guess, I was told by the place that it was ATF +4 but now looking at the bill I don't think I believe them, and the coolant does not say... So I guess its going to have to go to the dealer to have both flushed??? this *****, but I guess its my own fault... Thanks for the help.](*,)

So should I also be freaking out about that frag they found?
Yeah sorry to say the only place your guaranteed to get the correct fluids put in your vehicle is the dealership(or my shop since I will not allow the wrong fluids/parts to be put in a Jeep). Sure the cost is higher but worth it with the warranty it comes with.

As far as that chunk I would be worried personally.You now have a ticking time bomb in your trans,you may never have a issue or it could break the next time you drive it,you just do not know.It's your choice on what you want to do about it.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO run it until it breaks then you will find the problem
I was going to run my TJ with the front locker belching oil out
every time I turned it off
some one talked me into calling ARB
they said "check your breather and install the purge valve we are sending you"
problem was simple ,breather was stuck but got a free purge valve

KJedmonton

Reaction score
Yeah sorry to say the only place your guaranteed to get the correct fluids put in your vehicle is the dealership(or my shop since I will not allow the wrong fluids/parts to be put in a Jeep). Sure the cost is higher but worth it with the warranty it comes with.

As far as that chunk I would be worried personally.You now have a ticking time bomb in your trans,you may never have a issue or it could break the next time you drive it,you just do not know.It's your choice on what you want to do about it.

*****, X2 well that frag has probably been there for at least 3 years now(when I bought it), so i guess im just going to have to hope for the best, and as for the fluid, well live to learn, at the very least i now have a new ****** filter out of all this...
Thanks again!!!
James

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
ask your ****** people how much for a replacement ******... and saev that much up and be ready to replace it.. either way thats what youll be spending.

KJedmonton

Reaction score
So... Could having the wrong Fluid in coolant or ****** be the reason that my KJ now sounds like there is a box of crickets in the engine? hummm hard to explain but its a new sound... Mabey i can record it on my phone will go see...

NM kind of sounds more like its coming from the very front of engine, dealer will have to look at that but kind of sounds like a bad bearing or something like that...

Last edited:

KJedmonton

Reaction score
Could be waterpump thanks to the new incorrect coolant...

Thats what I am thinking as well, or they dumped a bunch of coolant down in the belt area and did something there??? Well at least its going in tomorrow to the dealer and they can sort it all out...

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Being that I love to be cynical, do you really KNOW that the piece came from your ******....Did they say to you "now you need a new ******".. Did they try to sell you anything from the start?

I trust no one...Everyone is looking for something

KJedmonton

Reaction score
Well, I'm in the jeep service waiting room right now, and so far 2 workers here have told me that they doubt that it cam from the ******, they think it probably came from the dirty shop, but there going to have a look while they are in there re-changing all the fluids.... LOL, this place has a cafeteria in the waiting room, I feel special!

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Well, I'm in the jeep service waiting room right now, and so far 2 workers here have told me that they doubt that it cam from the ******, they think it probably came from the dirty shop

My point exactly, what did you find out

KJedmonton

Reaction score
Well, I'm in the jeep service waiting room right now, and so far 2 workers here have told me that they doubt that it cam from the ******, they think it probably came from the dirty shop

My point exactly, what did you find out

Well, they did not find anything wrong when they re-opened the ****** pan, so I guess that’s it, they drove it and did not feel anything different as well. So i guess if my ****** does not blow out on me in the next few months then no one will ever know where the mystery piece came from... LOL so i guess that’s a good thing, a conformed yes or no would have been better, but again the people there did not seemed concerned at all. :):(:confused:
James

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Well, they did not find anything wrong when they re-opened the ****** pan, so I guess that’s it, they drove it and did not feel anything different as well. So i guess if my ****** does not blow out on me in the next few months then no one will ever know where the mystery piece came from... LOL so i guess that’s a good thing, a conformed yes or no would have been better, but again the people there did not seemed concerned at all. :):(:confused:
James

So, at the end of the day, did you end up getting the correct ATF+4 transmission fluid installed?

KJedmonton

Reaction score
So, at the end of the day, did you end up getting the correct ATF+4 transmission fluid installed?

Ryan, Yes I now have the correct ******/coolant fluid in the Jeep... A $250 mistake I will not soon forget, I guess the only + way for me to look at this is that I got double flushed, just incase anything was missed the first time...#-o
Oh and I found this mistake before something bad happened!
James

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Ryan, Yes I now have the correct ******/coolant fluid in the Jeep... A $250 mistake I will not soon forget, I guess the only + way for me to look at this is that I got double flushed, just incase anything was missed the first time...#-o
Oh and I found this mistake before something bad happened!
James

Wow, that I am sure was not friendly on the pocket book James.
At least you have things squared away with the transmission situation.
As far as the "Chunk" of metal supposedly found in the transmission fluid
pan, was probably stuck to the oil jockey's boot!

I find it hard to comprehend that a piece of metal that large could make it down into the pan, past the filter and valve body for that matter!
I've had the dis-pleasure of blowing up a few automatic transmissions in my day and the only thing in the pan were metal shavings!
(Should of seen the planetary gears, they were so blue from the heat it wasn't funny!)
But other than burnt ****** fluid and metal shavings, no chunks!
And when you think about it, there is no way for metal chunks to get into the fluid pan without a catastrophic transmission failure!

Either way, keep an eye on it!

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
James

Glad it is working out for ya. They all have so many other autos to work on, they never seem to care. Almost like a busy ER, you may be sick or injured, but so are the 30 other people ahead of you, so the docs must move on....