Found a rust trouble spot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I was changing the oil, and just wasn't up to contorting around the front skid plate to get the filter, when I noticed some rust, around and on the front suspension plates, right above the half-moon cut out, in between the LBJ and UBJ. (which looked okay, btw)
Just inside the wheel well /fender wall. Hard to spot, you'll need a light.

There should not be rust there, so I scrubed with a wire brush and soaked it with the rustolem.
I suggest everyone crank the wheel over and check this area for rust on both sides, especially in colder climate areas.
Just a heads up.

Mutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fender liners trap mud, water, and other debris between them and the body. I just removed mine, makes ensuring the KJ is cleaned up after wheeling much easier.

Mutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fender liners trap mud, water, and other debris between them and the body. I just removed mine, makes ensuring the KJ is cleaned up after wheeling much easier. Although, I did spray the wheelwells with a rubberized sound deadener/undercoating.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry no pics from me for awhile, camera died and I'm deciding on a new one. But this was not on the plastic portion or fender portions, this is where the suspension componets from out from the engine bay, into the wheel well, on a horizontial sandwich of metal.
Just above the long boot, there's a half-moon cut out on a vertical peice of metal, just above on the inside of that is where I found the rust.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ gets a good salt bath every winter... so I too keep a can of rustolem around. Thanks for the heads up...