For anyone interested in an awning for their Jeep or ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Jen and I saw this very cool light weight awning setup (Under 15 lbs. w/ aluminum carry case.)
attached to a VW Micro Bus last weekend at a VW Show.
Locally made here in B.C. and very high quality.
A great alternative to the ARB awning and less money. (Well here on the wet coast anyway!)
Sure beats the 8'X12' 75 lbs. wind out awning we have now for our tent trailer!
http://www.shadyboy.com/

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's really cool, I'm sure It can be easily mounted to the rails on the jeep. Great for the camping season. Good find!

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's cheaper but hardly a "good alternative" to the ARB... it's an alternative like a Patriot is to a Liberty.

On night 1 of Pastafari we had 50mph wind gusts that came around 1 am. My tent was not staked down on the rocks next to a cliff. I couldn't get out because the only thing keepin the tent from going over was me in it. So I laid there sure that my new awning was being destroyed. It was not staked down so I am sure that it was hoping around alot. In the am, it was still standing and not a hint of damage.

Cheap is expensive.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
It's cheaper but hardly a "good alternative" to the ARB... it's an alternative like a Patriot is to a Liberty.

On night 1 of Pastafari we had 50mph wind gusts that came around 1 am. My tent was not staked down on the rocks next to a cliff. I couldn't get out because the only thing keepin the tent from going over was me in it. So I laid there sure that my new awning was being destroyed. It was not staked down so I am sure that it was hoping around alot. In the am, it was still standing and not a hint of damage.

Cheap is expensive.

So why is it "hardly" a good alternative?

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I guess "cheaper" is relative... ARB's site lists their awning at $167.75 USD, assuming this is the awning we are talking about:

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Awning-1250-ARB3110US-P3655.aspx

The basic ShadyBoy awning goes for 249.95 CAD. Which is about the same as USD these days.

It may be that with duty/shipping/etc the ARB is the same or more up here in the GWN, I'm not sure.

I think it's pretty cool but I'm not sure I'd pay that for it, personally.

So anyways JLRockies, who's cheap now? ;)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying about the price Dave, but here locally the ARB sells
for almost twice as much as the Shady Boy!

The nice about the shady boy awning is that it does not require any poles when it's setup.
However when setup with poles it is very stable in high winds.
(Since posting this, I have spoken to a few people who own them and say good things about them.)

In my younger years I used a film projector movie screen as an awning!
10'X6' , I dis-assembled it flipped the screen so that when it was pulled
out the highly reflective movie screen surface faced the sky and kept the
shaded area really cool!

Last edited: