Flywheel Machining

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I've read through probably every post on the subject and I hear no consensus out there... can I have my flywheel machined? I know that there is a curve in the 2.4L flywheel, but as far as I can tell the one in my transmission is flat. NV3550, 3.7L. The Chilton manual I have for 02-04 Liberties even says "If the imperfections are slight, a machine shop can machine the surface flat and smooth." I don't want to waste money buying a new one if I don't have to, but I don't want to machine it and get screwed later either if I can't.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Qute from the 2002 FSM...the 2006 FSM is identical.

"Flywheel machining is not recommended. The flywheel clutch surface is machined to a unique contour and machining will negate this feature. Minor flywheel scoring can be cleaned up by hand with 180 grit emery or with surface grinding equipment.
Remove only enough material to reduce scoring (approximately 0.001 -0.003 in.)

Heavy stock removal is not recommended Replace the flywheel if scoring is severe and deeper than 0.003 in.

Excessive stock removal can result in flywheel cracking or warpage after installation. it can also weaken the flywheel and interfere with proper clutch release."