fluid from rear axle, wheelbearing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a slight wheelbearing/grinding noise from the back right wheel. Its very slight but noticeable while on throttle. I originally suspected a dragging caliper, but when I took that side apart I found this
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Seals leaking
and if it was me and that bad I'd do the bearing as well since you don't know how much dirt and grime got in there
PLUS of course new brakes

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those one piece units worry me. The ones ive seen seal off the bearing from the gear oil leaving only some grease to lubricate the bearing.

I would rather have the gear oil lubricating the bearing.

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havent ordered anything yet. I'll look at it as well as price out the conventional separate pieces.

Im probably gonna do both sides while im at it. Too bad I just replaced my diff fluid

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick question while im at it. When I have everything apart, I'd really like to clean this up, any problems with spraying the hell out the area with brake cleaner and wiping it down? That brake shield needs it too

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those one piece units worry me. The ones ive seen seal off the bearing from the gear oil leaving only some grease to lubricate the bearing.

I would rather have the gear oil lubricating the bearing.

It would be going in like the same configuration that is on there now just as one whole unit

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havent ordered anything yet. I'll look at it as well as price out the conventional separate pieces.

Im probably gonna do both sides while im at it. Too bad I just replaced my diff fluid

A little bit of gear oil goes a long ways. I bet you can't even tell any is missing when you check the level.
Mark

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick question while im at it. When I have everything apart, I'd really like to clean this up, any problems with spraying the hell out the area with brake cleaner and wiping it down? That brake shield needs it too

Spray away, just be mindful of some areas around the brakes that need a little new lube after you are done. Also keep it away from plastic and rubber and out of the banjo housing.
Mark