Flat towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2009 JK Rubicon on order.

I'll probably end up in the States somewhere when I leave here (Guam) this summer/fall. Thinking of putting the JK up on 37's and then I'm not sure I'd want to drive it far to wheel.

First question, do you think my '02 KJ will flat tow the JK with no problem? I've got the factory tow package and I think it's rated to 5000#. The JK lists @ ~4300# so it's just under the rating.

Second question, if I do attempt this, what kind of mileage can I expect on highway?

Third, I assume I'm gonna have to turn off the OD the whole time, what speed am I gonna limit myself to... 55mph? Along those lines, is there a "rule of thumb" when flat towing as to the max acceptable speed?

Fourth, has anyone ever towed that much weight 4300-5000# for a reasonably long distance? Anything I need to consider first?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'll probably end up in the States somewhere when I leave here (Guam) this summer/fall. Thinking of putting the JK up on 37's and then I'm not sure I'd want to drive it far to wheel.

First question, do you think my '02 KJ will flat tow the JK with no problem? I've got the factory tow package and I think it's rated to 5000#. The JK lists @ ~4300# so it's just under the rating.

Second question, if I do attempt this, what kind of mileage can I expect on highway?

Third, I assume I'm gonna have to turn off the OD the whole time, what speed am I gonna limit myself to... 55mph? Along those lines, is there a "rule of thumb" when flat towing as to the max acceptable speed?

Fourth, has anyone ever towed that much weight 4300-5000# for a reasonably long distance? Anything I need to consider first?
1) Yes it will,flat towing is easier then regular towing a trailer,except in the braking department.You will have problems stopping.

2)About 10-12mpg's

3)Yes OD off,anywhere from 55-65mph is a good safe speed.

4)Yes I have,I have towed 6200lbs for about 35miles with my KJ,did it with ease(I have a '02 with the 45RFE and 4.10 gears,only a AUX ****** cooler) but stopping was another story.I also towed on 2 occasions about 4000-4500lbs,SD to WA and then WA to CO,through the mountains,kept speeds at 60-65mph's.First trip was when no lifted and no armor and got 23mpg's,the 2nd time I was lifted and armored up and got about 12mpg's average.Again stopping was fun due to no trailer brakes(6'x10' enclosed single axle trailer).A better AUX ****** cooler is key even if you have the HD cooling.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I don't know how the Jeep is going to handle that. You will need an auxiliary braking system for the Jeep. Also, dont forget how much weight the 37's will add along with new wheels. There's also fuel and other fluids. Gas mileage will most definitely suck. I was getting 13-14 mpg towing about 3000 lbs a while back. Also, I would recommend always leaving OD off to avoid burning up the transmission. IMO, the additional wear and tear on the KJ is not worth the hassle for the benefits.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) Yes it will,flat towing is easier then regular towing a trailer,except in the braking department.You will have problems stopping.

2)About 10-12mpg's

3)Yes OD off,anywhere from 55-65mph is a good safe speed.

4)Yes I have,I have towed 6200lbs for about 35miles with my KJ,did it with ease(I have a '02 with the 45RFE and 4.10 gears,only a AUX ****** cooler) but stopping was another story.I also towed on 2 occasions about 4000-4500lbs,SD to WA and then WA to CO,through the mountains,kept speeds at 60-65mph's.First trip was when no lifted and no armor and got 23mpg's,the 2nd time I was lifted and armored up and got about 12mpg's average.Again stopping was fun due to no trailer brakes(6'x10' enclosed single axle trailer).A better AUX ****** cooler is key even if you have the HD cooling.

Thanks. I guess the KJ isn't the best thing to do it with. After I posted I searched a bit and found more info. Looks like the general consensus is that that heavy of a pull w/o breaking on the towed trailer/vehicle makes it really difficult to stop.

I'll probably look for something bigger to replace the KJ if I think I'm gonna do this much. No rush really as the JK will be stock for a while, but I'm just looking into it for later.

Would it be worth it to upgrade the brakes on the KJ even if I had to swap out the wheels for something larger in the 18" range? I realize 18's on a KJ is probably taboo, but if I'm pulling a highly modded JK behind it, I think everyone would get the point. :)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We towed my bro's YJ on 35's behind our stock '03 for over 200 miles with no problems
the JK will weigh a little more but not much
Thing is the JK is not even close to a YJ when you look at the ride quality
The JK is way better even on 37's
also the price of fuel it would just not be worth it
I would just drive the JK even on 37's it is not that bad

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll know better once I get it. Honestly, now I'm just thinking ahead. Not sure I want to ride far on 37's though.

Plus, the added benefit is that when we finally got to the spot to wheel, if the wifey and kids didn't want to wheel one day, they could go off and do whatever it is that wives and kids do when daddy is wheeling in the KJ.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll know better once I get it. Honestly, now I'm just thinking ahead. Not sure I want to ride far on 37's though.

Plus, the added benefit is that when we finally got to the spot to wheel, if the wifey and kids didn't want to wheel one day, they could go off and do whatever it is that wives and kids do when daddy is wheeling in the KJ.

The wife thing I see
The not driving on 37's I dont
the YJ on 35's gets drove 100+ miles 1 way to and from the trails

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, for now, I'll just have to go with it.

I don't even know where I'm gonna be stationed next. All I know is that if I'm in the States, I wanna hit Moab at least while I'm in the States. Hopefully, I'll be somewhere in the West, Midwest, or Southwest and even then the bases I'm likely to be stationed at would be 500-1000 miles one way. :)

Oh, well, I guess I'll just plan on taking a couple weeks leave and making a road trip out of it! :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
be cheaper to rent them a car for a day or two so they can run around. Dont want to run 37s ?? Don't undertand that I have ran 38s and 40s from Ohio to Florida on Jeeps/4WD Dodge vans and F150s with no problems, except for having too much fun along the way! If you get it drive it!

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
be cheaper to rent them a car for a day or two so they can run around. Dont want to run 37s ?? Don't undertand that I have ran 38s and 40s from Ohio to Florida on Jeeps/4WD Dodge vans and F150s with no problems, except for having too much fun along the way! If you get it drive it!

Like I said, just thinking ahead. I've never run larger than 33's and those were boggers on a Ranger. I guess if I get a little less agressive design it probably won't be so bad.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What I ran was Gumbo Mudders and Ground Hawgs guess those weren't that aggressive. LOL with the right gearing I never noticed any real difference, had on my trucks that I ran every day and well everywhere I went.

Latest posts

Members online