First Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a used 2003 Liberty today 4x4 for a great deal. I would really like to put a lift on it, but I want to stay close to $600 if possible. I have done many searches, but most of the kits recommended are in the $750-$1400 range. I came across this BDS 2" lift kit. I was wondering what I would need to complete it, or if everything I need is included in this package. If everything is included, I will be very excited to order this kit.

http://bds-suspension.com/product?kid=442H

I read that it is a decent kit, I really just need to know if it is leaving out anything that I will NEED. It seems like its missing a set of shocks but its the only kit they have? I have been searching, but I know very little about this.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Its an OK kit, yes they do not supply front shocks only rear. The rear shocks that come with the kit are just average, may want to up grade them as well
Actually by the time you get everything you are in the same ball park as a OME/ and eith OME or bilstein shock lift

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
toms right, i have a bds lift on my....great kit and it was easy to install...i got their basic kit which included standard shocks for the rear, i kept them as spares. i got the bilstein 5100 series rear shocks and the hd front shocks from bilstein, teraflex bumstops for the front, hockey pucks for the rear and i got the jba gen 4.5 ucas, the things that made me choose the bds kit over the ome were: the bds lift comes with all new hardware for building the front spring/shock assembly, (stem bushings, washers), as well as what bds calls the "strut relocation bracket"...it replaces the oem upper shock bracket the bolts to the wheel well, as the name implies it corrects the at rest shock position for lift by shifting where the stem of the shock mounts down about an inch or inch and a half setting the shock at approximately the same position as stock, this way you dont lose out on the droop travel, also it is an american made product and the no BS warranty, but most importantly the spring rate is higher on the bds kit than on the ome springs....either way your spending about the same money and both lifts are good quality...my advice if you do get the BDS kit is to go to a jeep dealer and purchase the upper and lower spring isolators for the front and have your new shock/spring assembly pre built in your spare time, that way when you pull the old assemblies the swap is way faster

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would this be something I could install at home? Do you guys know of a total cost for everything? Will I need to buy new front shocks, or will the stock ones work with the lift kit? Does anyone know where a complete kit with bumpers and everything can be found? Installation price if I can't do it at home? Sorry for all the questions, I am just not finding the answers by searching because I have no prior knowledge of how suspension lifts work/every single part needed. You guys are being very helpful so far.

Sorry but I guess I just need a List of every part/kit i should order in full, so that everything ends up at my house. So I will order this BDS kit Plus ??? I really hope I can get a lift, have it installed, and get 31" tires ($80 each because my brother works for General Tire) for under $1500. I almost ordered a spacer lift, but I don't think It would work out in the long run.

Last edited:

ACWeller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would this be something I could install at home? Do you guys know of a total cost for everything? Will I need to buy new front shocks, or will the stock ones work with the lift kit? Does anyone know where a complete kit with bumpers and everything can be found? Installation price if I can't do it at home? Sorry for all the questions, I am just not finding the answers by searching because I have no prior knowledge of how suspension lifts work/every single part needed. You guys are being very helpful so far.

Sorry but I guess I just need a List of every part/kit i should order in full, so that everything ends up at my house. So I will order this BDS kit Plus ??? I really hope I can get a lift, have it installed, and get 31" tires ($80 each because my brother works for General Tire) for under $1500. I almost ordered a spacer lift, but I don't think It would work out in the long run.
Isaiah, its cheaper to purchase the old man emu 927 & 948 springs and bilstein shocks with tera flex front bump stops . I was set on the BDS lift also. I found it for 450 shipped plus the.cost of shocks. If you get bilsteins, cheapest place is shockwarehouse.com, they get 320 shipped for a set of 4 shocks. Even if you go with the cheaper ranchos its 285 shipped.
Ome springs can be had for 350 shipped and then bilsteins for 320 shipped plus the tera flex bump stops for 42. Now, I'm not lifted but as I stated I was set on the BDS kit but after a little more shopping around its cheaper and the quality is just as good if not better.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score

if youre going the way of bds like i did here is my shopping list:
bds lift with basic rear shocks- direct from bds
bilstein front and rear shocks-ordered from JBA...the site explains which shocks you need for the amount of lift
teraflex front bumpstops-JBA about 22 bucks a piece but well worth it and necessary
4 hockey pucks- any sporting goods store
the above is all that you will need to do a lift
here are my extras and ill explain why:
JBA gen 4.5 UCAs-Jeepin By Al
the JBA UCAs correct the upper ball joint angle to compensate for the lift, give more spring clearance, help to make alignment easier to achieve, not to mention the fact that they are 100% rebuildable, JBA carries the replacement bushings, about 12 bucks a pair and the replacement ball joints, about 33 bucks each, and the ball joints are greasable,
if you plan to fit a 31 inch tall tire you will have to:
a) add extra upper spring isolators to the rear, 2 per side, available from any jeep dealership
b) add either a 3/8 inch top plate and some clevis lift up front or purchase new clevis forks for a KK liberty to add lift up front
c) a set of wheels with 4 inches backspacing
the reason for a through c is clearance, i am currently running a 245 75 16 cooper discoverer AT3, they are about 30.5 inches tall, i have zero additional lift, only what the springs provide, and i did have some rubbing at first so i had to pound down my pinch welds and do some trimming on the front bumper to stop the rubbing, some people have no rubbing at all but for what it is it would just be easier to do the extra lift while you have it all apart rather than gety everything all done and then have to kill more time eliminating the issues or to quote tom, "do it once, do it right", hope this is of some help

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
and
You don't need the JBA UCAs but as noted they do help
KK clevis is not longer than a KJs
You can go with a 1/4 inch top plate and 3/8 inch clevis along with two extra iso's in the rear and this will allow the KJ to sit level front to rear
You can run stock wheels with 245-75-16s if you want

Cheaper to buy OME springs etc in the long run

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Ok thanks for all the advice. I called a shop and they probably haven't done many KJ's because they quoted 450 for the BDS kit, 100 each for ranchero front struts, and 100 to assemble the shocks/struts together when if I bring in my old ones. They said overall with tax and all it would be about $800. I asked about bump stops but he said that wouldn't be necessary on a 2inch lift.:freak3:

This is all pretty complicated so I called a shop, and it sounds like they don't even know what they are doing.:shrug:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Most places have never done a KJ, I live close to Toledo where the KJs are built. There are 1000's of KJs around here, but yet only one shop has done a lift and that was several years ago. So having done 20 in my garage I'm way ahead of any shop around here:happy175:
Most know nothing about what it takes
KJ lifts are really simple to do I think
Most places do charge 40-50 to compress the springs so fairly normal charge

ACWeller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if youre going the way of bds like i did here is my shopping list:
bds lift with basic rear shocks- direct from bds
bilstein front and rear shocks-ordered from JBA...the site explains which shocks you need for the amount of lift
teraflex front bumpstops-JBA about 22 bucks a piece but well worth it and necessary
4 hockey pucks- any sporting goods store
the above is all that you will need to do a lift
here are my extras and ill explain why:
JBA gen 4.5 UCAs-Jeepin By Al
the JBA UCAs correct the upper ball joint angle to compensate for the lift, give more spring clearance, help to make alignment easier to achieve, not to mention the fact that they are 100% rebuildable, JBA carries the replacement bushings, about 12 bucks a pair and the replacement ball joints, about 33 bucks each, and the ball joints are greasable,
if you plan to fit a 31 inch tall tire you will have to:
a) add extra upper spring isolators to the rear, 2 per side, available from any jeep dealership
b) add either a 3/8 inch top plate and some clevis lift up front or purchase new clevis forks for a KK liberty to add lift up front
c) a set of wheels with 4 inches backspacing
the reason for a through c is clearance, i am currently running a 245 75 16 cooper discoverer AT3, they are about 30.5 inches tall, i have zero additional lift, only what the springs provide, and i did have some rubbing at first so i had to pound down my pinch welds and do some trimming on the front bumper to stop the rubbing, some people have no rubbing at all but for what it is it would just be easier to do the extra lift while you have it all apart rather than gety everything all done and then have to kill more time eliminating the issues or to quote tom, "do it once, do it right", hope this is of some help
Hey Chris, do you have any photos of your libby after the lift?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
AC
What do you want pics of and what size tires, I have several of the lifts I have done. Or make a 2 hour trip south to one of our M&Gs always KJs/KKs here from Michigan, Indiana ohio etc

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so here's my conclusion from your info...

1. BDS 2" lift kit - $450
2. 2 Ranchero Shocks - $200 (seems cheap)
3. Labor/Assembly - $100
4. Tax - $50 (or so)
5. Hockey Pucks - $15
6. 4 bump stops - $100

TOTAL - $915

Can someone tell me how many more parts I am missing for a complete lift. Like Bump stops, iso spacer, plate things... etc. and an approximate cost for everything that is not in the list above. Sorry for being a Newb, but... well... I am a newb. I saw he said to get 4 shocks in the above post, but it already comes with two in the kit. Is there a need for the extra shocks?

Last edited:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so here's my conclusion from your info...

1. BDS 2" lift kit - $450
2. 2 Ranchero Shocks - $200 (seems cheap)
3. Labor/Assembly - $100
4. Tax - $50 (or so)
5. Hockey Pucks - $15
6. 4 bump stops - $100

TOTAL - $915

Can someone tell me how many more parts I am missing for a complete lift. Like Bump stops, iso spacer, plate things... etc. and an approximate cost for everything that is not in the list above. Sorry for being a Newb, but... well... I am a newb. I saw he said to get 4 shocks in the above post, but it already comes with two in the kit. Is there a need for the extra shocks?

almost,
BDS basic lift kit Part #: 442H 473.60
Bilstein front shocks from JBA part #: JBA-F4-BE5-D916-H0, 95.13 each, (order 2)
Bilstein Rear shocks from JBA part #: JBA-BE5-6458-H7, 79.26 each, (order 2)
Teraflex front bumpstops from JBA part #: JBA-TER1903200, 21.99 each (order 2)
total before tax/shipping and hockey pucks(you need 4 pucks): 866.36
im not trying to be a jerk but have you ever worked on a car or your jeep? the lift install isnt anything to complicated its just more than what most people are used to so it seems like a nightmare, there is no need for the extra shocks but the kit comes with cheap shocks that are not nitrogen charged, if you plan to off road in your jeep youll want the bilstein shocks on the rear not regular hydraulic shocks, i did keep my bds cheapo shocks in the even i ever have one of the bilsteins break ill have a spare...AC im sitting in class now later on ill snap some pics and send em ur way...ill be doing it from my phone so if you have an email i can send them to just PM me the address

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
100 for bumpstops ? :shrug:
OK here is what I use on all of the lifts one more time
Front
OME 927 springs 79.95 each
either OME 131 shocks or Bilstein ( use stock shocks in fron)
Front bumpstops Teraflex 21.99 each

rear
OME 948 springs 79.95 each
OME 132L shocks or Bilstein FF4-BE5-6458-H7
rear bumpstops 4 hockey pucks 2 per side

or

Full OME kit with springs and shocks is 750

you can also get more height by using a 1/4 inch top plate in front with a 3/8 inch clevis, then add two extra upper isolators in the rear to level the KJ
Having front springs compressed should be no more than 50 bucks total
With the above youare in at 750/800 or so with ood shopping
check jeepinbyal for parts/etc

Kind of silly to buy the BDS kit for 450 only to use the springs which OME cost 320 total for them

Last edited:

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for laying it out in a list I can understand. I know nothing about automotive mechanics, but I'm handy with tools and patience. I think you have convinced me to buy:
the OME spring/shock kit -$750
a set of Bump bump stops -$44
and Four hockey pucks -$20

and do as much of the install myself as possible. Does that bring an end to my list of things to order? I want to get 245/75/r16 General Grabber AT2 tires.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100 for bumpstops ? :shrug:
OK here is what I use on all of the lifts one more time
Front
OME 927 springs 79.95 each
either OME 131 shocks or Bilstein ( use stock shocks in fron)
Front bumpstops Teraflex 21.99 each

rear
OME 948 springs 79.95 each
OME 132L shocks or Bilstein FF4-BE5-6458-H7
rear bumpstops 4 hockey pucks 2 per side

or

Full OME kit with springs and shocks is 750

you can also get more height by using a 1/4 inch top plate in front with a 3/8 inch clevis, then add two extra upper isolators in the rear to level the KJ
Having front springs compressed should be no more than 50 bucks total
With the above youare in at 750/800 or so with ood shopping
check jeepinbyal for parts/etc

Kind of silly to buy the BDS kit for 450 only to use the springs which OME cost 320 total for them
I wouldnt say its silly because
A) you get a higher spring rate
B) the benefits of the strut relocation bracket, ( less droop travel without it)
C) all new hardware for the spring shock assemblies
D) arb is a goos company and there products are good but i prefer to buy american made parts/accessories whenever possible
E) bds does offer a set of nitrogen charged shocks for the rear for about 130 bucks more i just decided to get bilstein and have spares

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
35 extra pound spring rate is not worth worrying about, 99.9 % of the people would never know the difference
relocation bracket, we'll do a comparison , may help a small amount but.....
I know of two on other forums that the BDS actually started to sag fairly quick, even with the extra spring rate.
Yes I buy American whenever possible, Have never owned a vehicle that has an over the pond name, well one VW but otherwise . Only have had Jeeps, Harleys and Fords.
BUT having ran my first OME lift 100,000 miles and over 40,000 on this one I'll make an exception and run OME and help out Aussie friends :happy175:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
35 extra pound spring rate is not worth worrying about, 99.9 % of the people would never know the difference
relocation bracket, we'll do a comparison , may help a small amount but.....
I know of two on other forums that the BDS actually started to sag fairly quick, even with the extra spring rate.
Yes I buy American whenever possible, Have never owned a vehicle that has an over the pond name, well one VW but otherwise . Only have had Jeeps, Harleys and Fords.
BUT having ran my first OME lift 100,000 miles and over 40,000 on this one I'll make an exception and run OME and help out Aussie friends :happy175:

No need to defend yourself for buying ome springs as i am sure they are great products, the amount of people who buy them is a testimate to a good product, my only point was that your not just getting springs, as far as the 2 that sagged quickly, i dont know all the facts about those instances so i wont comment simply because there are too many factors involved to make any accurate conclusion via the internet, if someone wanted only to purchase the bds springs they can do that as well and it would save them about 100 bucks on the lift, drawing a conclusion about most any product based on two instances would pretty much make every company look like hell, theres more than 2 people who have had engine failures with there kj but nobody points out those few instances and says the libertys or the 3.7s are junk, i wasnt looking to offend or start an argument only point out that 450 buys more than springs

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for laying it out in a list I can understand. I know nothing about automotive mechanics, but I'm handy with tools and patience. I think you have convinced me to buy:
the OME spring/shock kit -$750
a set of Bump bump stops -$44
and Four hockey pucks -$20

and do as much of the install myself as possible. Does that bring an end to my list of things to order? I want to get 245/75/r16 General Grabber AT2 tires.

Just a couple more things so you can fit those tires and you've got a complete list:

- Two 1/4 inch top plates from JBA to sit on top of your front shock towers
- Four rear spring upper isolators. Will level the front and rear
- (Potentially) Six, 2 inch conduit nuts to fit three on the bottom of each front shock between the top of the clevis and the bottom of the shock assembly. I say potentially because you can simply measure a 3/8 inch gap and tighten the clevis bolt. If you're not comfortable with that buy the conduit nuts at Home Depot or Lowe's and put them around the bottom of the shocks, push the clevis up tight against them and you're done.

You also have to factor in an alignment after the lift. It MUST be done as the geometry will change due to the increased ride height.

Now your list is complete! :party52:

Bob

Members online

No members online now.