Firestone Destination A\T **wet/500 mile updates**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I act as a substitute updater / review of these tires?

I fit most of the same criteria as the OP who is inactive at the moment. Most importantly I have a Silver KJ which is the same color as the OP's. Plus, mine is Pre-lowered and all stock and I even have the Destination A/T's with plenty of mileage on them for reporting!

I've been running the Firestone Destination A/T's since the end of January 2007. I replaced the factory original Goodyear RS-A's that came with the Jeep. A quick trip to my local Firestone dealer and I had the 235/70/R16's put on, including spare. Mileage at the time of installation was 56,000 miles on the KJ. Currently I am up to 83,000 miles on the KJ giving me almost 30,000 miles of experience with this tire. Overall, the tires are wearing very nicely so far with only minor rounding of the shoulder blocks due to the amount of city driving that I do. I rotate about every 6,000 miles to keep the tread depth / wear patterns even.

First point: I have never experienced a flat or tire puncture of any kind so I can not comment on the repairability. I have heard and read reports that the sidewall of this particular tire is very susceptible to being cut by sharp rocks when off road. Practice "avoidance" of the sharp rocks and all is well.

Most of my off-roading consists of forested 2-track and grassy / sometimes mudy situations. Which is nothing like some of the people here but still the tires do the job without any fuss. Overall the tires handle these conditions very well with little to no loss in performance as the tread has aged.

On road these tires are still performing as good as they did when they were brand new. I image these tires will maintain their performance on road and in the wet as long as the tread depth remains.

In the winter they are also still rocking. Last winter I was out in fresh snow totaling 18" with no problems for traction. And that is after roughly 23k miles of usage.

So far these tires have held up very well in all types of weather and light off-roading. Would I buy them again? Probably.

Last edited:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I read up on these tires, the more I lean towards buying a set before winter kicks in here in Canada.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
L

lil black liberty

50K miles approaching and I can't get these things to wear! I have burned them out and everything and they look brand new and still have the performance of new ones..

Billy Bob

Reaction score
Destination ATs

I've had D.Ats on my 02 since the middle of Dec. 09 and am very pleased. No comparison to the stock Wranglers. Although I'm very noise conscious, they seem pretty quiet. I actually purchased them on the day of our 2nd blizzard in Jan. and they had phenominal traction. With them, the KJ seemed unstoppable. Wet road handling was excellent. Just my 2 cents.

cajunrebel

Reaction score
I bought these same tires and I definitely took a ton of chunks out of mine first weekend out on a hill climb. I wasnt happy at all. I also cut a sidewall and had to replace one tire. Thankfully the tire shop on base honored the warranty and replaced it for free and I just paid $15 for the new warranty.

Latest posts

Members online