Firestone Destination A\T **wet/500 mile updates**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Product Name: Firestone Destination A/T's
Size: 235/70/R16
Price: $79.00/Tire (Tirerack.com)

Manufacturers Description:
The Firestone Destination A/T is the SUV and light truck all-terrain tire for drivers who want to go wherever the road leads--from main streets to the woods. The Destination A/T with UNI-T technology is built to adapt to travel in wet or dry weather and gives you an extra measure of confidence in handling and braking on those rainy days. All-terrain performance is complemented by added technology that promotes a smooth and quiet ride.

User Experience:

After finally wearing out the stock Goodyear RS-A's, I was finally able to justify shelling out for a new set of tires. For the longest time, I have been ******* after the Bridgestone Deuler Revo A/T's, but having a price tag of $114.00/per tire (Price taken from Tirerack.com), it was a bit too steep for my pockets. I went on to search for a good tire with strong ratings. After looking for a while, I stumbled across the Firestone Destination A/T's. At first I was a little apprehensive, since I have heard of other buying the Destination M/T's, and reports of it being not so street and everyday driving friendly. I asked around a bit, and searched the net, and from different user feedbacks, I have concluded that these were the right tires, and at $79.00/tire, it was also at the right price.

I ordered my tires from Tire Rack on Sunday, and got them in on Tuesday afternoon. I almost hugged the UPS man for bringing me my new meats. First off, the pictures you will see on the internet, or from this review, does not do justice to the real tires. They look so much better in person, so if looks is a determining factor for your purchase, take it from me, these look really great on the KJ.

I ordered a set of 5, and had them installed with the white letters out. As mentioned above, when I first saw them on the KJ, it was instant droolage. It definitely gives the KJ a much more rugged look, much more than the stock tires.

So far I’ve only tacked on 200 or so miles on the new tires. Initial impressions have been great. Gone are the squeals during turns. It’s a real treat not to hear your tires struggle to get grip while turning at 20 mph. Road noise is quite low, I’ve gone upwards to about 85 mph on the highway, and it’s somewhat slightly quieter than the stock good years. I have also noticed that it seems to take the smaller bumps better. I don’t hear the same rattles I used to hear when I had the stock tires on. I haven’t been able to test out how it handles in the rain, or snow, but I will update this as I pile on the miles and get to try it some more in different road and weather conditions.

You must be registered for see images

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a good looking tire! Please let us know in a couple of months how they work out in different conditions. Thx.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Wet conditions, first impressions and 500 mile update

We've been getting hammered w/ quite a bit of rain recently up here in NY, and I finally had a chance to test out the Destinations on wet pavement.

For my first "tesT" there is this intersection where the old tires would just skid all the way through (granted I pretty much do it on purpose, and throttle her past 2000 rpm) the intersection. I did pretty much the same thing, and yes she did skid too, but she got grip pretty much after maybe 3 feet after.

I went on to higher speeds on the highway, and she feels a whole lot stabler going at about 50-60 mph. Stopping traction was spot on, and on curves and such, she felt a lot more grippier. In other words, i felt a lot more confident (albeit still leaning more on caution) when driving on wet pavement.

Turning at about 30 mph felt better than before. the back didnt feel like it was gonna give out at any point (the RS-A's felt good when it was new-ish, but felt really bad really fast)

all in all she handled real good in the rain, and I didnt feel as nervous as I did when I Had the Goodyears.

I have tacked on about 500 or so miles, and again, the KJ feels a helluva lot stabler w/ the Destinations. One thing I Have noticed is she's a bit more responsive steering wise.

I must add tho, that i've had those RS-A's for about 3 years. I vaguely remember how they faired up when they were brand new, but seeing as how those tires got worse real fast, they still dont fare up to the Destinations.

I will be taking a road trip to chicago sometime in aug. i'll see how they perform then too, on MPG mostly.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man all you people must have a different version of the Destination A/Ts or something. I really can't stand mine. Well they are not bad for the prices, just a mediorcare all-season tire. They are no where near as agressive as the BFG KO's. More of an all-season tire than an A/T. I was impressed with them at first but now that I have about 15k on them and they have gotten quite loud and traction has already started to go down hill.

Also, in mud they are as good as slicks. I almost got stuck on level hard packed wet soil. My tires where so gunked up just from driving on the wet soil (no mud boggin here) that it was like driving on a sheet of black ice. They preformed about the same as the stock goodyears in mud.

One thing I noticed is they chunk rubber like crazy, especially when wheeling. I know all tires get cut-up off-road but these are FAR worst than the stock goodyears or the no-name A/T I had on my CJ. All the chunked off rubber is probably why they are now quite loud and lost traction. Tirerack rates them quite high, however a few other sites rate them just middle of the road. I think they are a good tire if you drive on pavement mostly and never really see more than a dirt road. They are really an all-season tire not and A/T.

To me they just seem like a middle of the road tire. Better than the crappy goodyears, but not better than some no name A/Ts on my CJ or the wilderness A/Ts I had on my XJ. However, they seem to wear like iron. I wish they would wear faster so I could replace them.

If I did it again I would go with the BFG A/T's or the Revo's. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Overall, not a bad tire. Probably pretty decent for the price (got 5 245/75/16s for 444 dollars), but there are better tires on the market.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
sorry to hear Eddo, but yeah, maybe you couldve gotten that one bad one out of the line. I've only put on a few k's on the tires, and so far so good. i'll make a note once it's a year old.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think their great! during the snow i was very impressed with the handling, and unlike the crappy goodyears i did not slip once! (i even tried for the fun of it) nothing. we get a lot of snow here in michigan too. they are awesome tires. also during the spring time they are great in the rain. definately will buy them again. haven't tried them in the mud - not too much mud here in the winter.

ibny

Reaction score
Thumbs Up on Firestone Destination A/T's

After reading the reviews here and on TireRack I decided to install a set of these in stock size 235/70/16. They are a tremendous improvement over the stock Goodyears and a fine all around tire on and off road. I've logged 3000 miles on them so far in all conditions, heavy rain, heavy snow, and off road (light trails, not rocks). I've been very pleased with the performance and would recommend these tires as a great value for the $$$$.

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I hate my RS-A's... a coworker put Destinations on his Grand Cherokee before this winter, and I have been intending to do the same... but those darn RS-A's just won't wear enough to warrent replacement. I've got about 60k on them so far, and am the proverbial "this close" to ditching them. This thread is encouraging.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Jaysus said:
Man, I hate my RS-A's... a coworker put Destinations on his Grand Cherokee before this winter, and I have been intending to do the same... but those darn RS-A's just won't wear enough to warrent replacement. I've got about 60k on them so far, and am the proverbial "this close" to ditching them. This thread is encouraging.

well, after putting up w/ mine, and trying to justify the switch..well lemme ask you......do you value ur saftey? LoL
seriously, no matter how much tread is left on those hell spawns.....just the mere fact that you hate them..is justification enough.

seriously......the difference is night and day..and im not just really speaking for the destinations, just any other tire other than the stockers

ask grogie....he was in ur same position, waiting to wear our his stockers, but after putting on the Revo's on his TJ after he took delivery, he's just waiting to get some extra cash to replace the stockers on his KJ....

i've tacked on 2k+ miles on the D's, and the total driving experience is so much better with them. it handles twisty mtn roads like nothing.
and...i drove them things on hard rain recently......I never dared to even go past 65 on the rs-a's but these.....i often caught myself doing 75.....
(slowed down after the fact of course)....

u have 60k on them, and if u have the money...change them....
it will be worth it....

Grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 10K on my '06 Sport and am looking at the Destination ATs
If I understand correctly I can move up to 245/70/16 without any problems.

So what should I buy for my Stock KJ 245 or 235?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Grey said:
I have 10K on my '06 Sport and am looking at the Destination ATs
If I understand correctly I can move up to 245/70/16 without any problems.

So what should I buy for my Stock KJ 245 or 235?

go to 245, should fit fine

Renedave

Reaction score
I bought a set of five of these to replace the garbage stock tires after only 16K miles. The 245/70R16s fit fine both before and after a Rusty's 2.5" spring lift. Off-road on greens, light blues, and sand they've held up very well so far. In deep/soft sand they cut through a lot better than I thought they would at 20PSI, although at full air of 45PSI I bogged down on a slight rise in deep sand (no great surprise there). I ran that just as a test to compare against the 31"x10.5" BFGs on my Wrangler, which run through the sand just fine at 40-45PSI. Scalloping on the side of the tread was a lot less severe than on the BFGs or the stock GoodYears after a week of riding in deep sand.

Once I wear these guys down I plan on moving up to 245/75R16 or 31" size tires with new rims or a spacer. I've had no problems with rubbing, and on the trails every little bit of additional clearance helps.

teazingweezer

Reaction score
I have only put 500 miles on the stock wrangler's since I bought my Liberty, but I decided it was time for a decent tire. So I put on 245/65R17 Destination A/T's today and what a difference it makes. It really is night and day. It was definitely worth the money on the road and off the road. It's a whole new feel.

Last edited:

Renedave

Reaction score
An update to my previous post after six months, 12,000 miles, and five off-road trips (plus numerous beach trips). Turns out the tires don't hold up as well off-road as I had first thought. Every tire has had several chunks come out of the tread and sidewalls. To their credit I haven't lost a tire yet, but at this point I can't trust them to hold up much longer. Plus the tread is filling up immediately in any sort of sticky mud, or even damp clay. They ran fine on the trips during the summer drought, but a bit of rain and I was sliding off rocks sideways where the tires should have held. Not fun on a challenging trail! They're still running well on the road and in the sand, but before my next wheeling trip I'm picking up a set of MT/Rs.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yeah..i dont think they are really made for the really rough stuff..just mild gravelly stuff......it is a bargain of a tire, and it does perform well..

i've had them for a lil over 2 years now..still holding up good

vkray

Reaction score
I also opted for the Destination A/Ts great tire on/off road perform as rated.

L

lil black liberty

Hey Jon how's those Destination A/T's holding up? I've got approx 5K on mine and I have 245/70/16's and I will say they are nice.. I don't go offroading because I have 2WD but man they are perfect for a DD..

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Jon how's those Destination A/T's holding up? I've got approx 5K on mine and I have 245/70/16's and I will say they are nice.. I don't go offroading because I have 2WD but man they are perfect for a DD..

Don't hold your breath on a reply from Jon...he's been gone over a year or two....:(