Fickle brake light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slagree92

Reaction score
Hey everybody, My 2003 KJ has developed a strange brake light issue the last couple of days and im starting to run out free/ cheap fixes.

The driver side brake light has not been working but all other lights have fine. I pulled the taillight and replace all the bulbs and checked all contacts to make sure nothing has melted or corroded. All has checked out so far and brake light WILL work when its not installed. But every time I reinstall it that driver side brake light loses function while all other lights are fine.

Has anybody had any issues similar or at least have an idea of where I should start. Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank all of you ahead of time.

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, works when the housing is out, but not installed. Sounds like the wire could be the problem. Check to see theres no breaks in the insulation. Maybe have someone keep their foot on the brakes while you move the wires around.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say he lamp works when not installed do you mean the bulb lights up if you apply +12 volts to it?

As stated above move the wire around while the brake pedal is jammed down and check the ground wire is good.

I had a problem like this years ago and strangely enough it was the bulb itself...in a certain orientation it would work...move it a bit and the filament lost contact and it would not work.