Few more questions from the FNG Jeep'er...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope nobody minds that I ask a few unrelated questions. But while I'm trying to get a few things done, I'm trying to plan a head some other repairs or changes I'd like to do with my KJ which my daughter named "Vader" after seeing Starwars.

So, after getting brakes done, tires replaced, driver's side seat fixed or replaced and a complete tune-up with oil changed one. Should I or should I not worry about having the trans filter and fluid changed. Mind you, I don't have a garage or shop to do repairs in, and I had to sell all my tools to buy food at one point.

So I've been asking around at various garages. CarX told me this when I asked. They said it was about $800 because the transfer case and differential MUST be done at the same time. Needless to say, I laughed in thier face. I use to work for Murray's Discount Auto parts. CarX had the filter listed at $125. AutoZone and O'rielly has 'em for $30. So I won't be going there!

Then I asked at Firestone. They told me NOT to have the fluid and filter changed as it's broken in and if I do that it would lead to needing the ****** rebuilt or replaced for some odd reason.

I only ask about this, because at 35-40mph it has issues switching gears. Especially if you happen to be going up hill at the time too!

Next question.... I seen a Renegade version of the KJ at one time. I got to wondering, is there enough space on the roof so I can mount a Renegade light bar and mount it on the roof and not interfere with the sunroof? I kinda like the idea of making our KJ a "Limited Renegade".

Final question for now. Where the heck do you folks store stuff like emergency tools, jumper cables, ect...and not clutter up the back end of your jeep? Having that big back end area makes shopping so much easier, don't wanna loose that space to hauling "essentials" around.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume you have the 2004 42RLE transmission and at about 76k miles now?
These transmissions are picky,and require the fluid level to be clean and @ the full line when hot.
Check the dip stick on level ground, and ensure it's clean & at or slightly above full line when hot. (after driving 20 minutes)
The ATF+4 works hard, and many just do a pan drop, & change the filter.
This also allows inspection for any fine particles/shavings inside the pan and a good idea to inspect.
The Mopar kit comes with gasket & filter.
Last time, I let the Jeep dealer do my service on trans which includes the use of their recirculating machine, that removes & refreshes all of the old fluid, not just the pan quantity.
I also have a PML pan which allows me to drain at drain plug & add fresh ATF+4 fluid. I like keeping it clean every 30 k miles.
Going up the hill... try it again with the Overdrive off.
Your owners manual or of you dont have one, online downloads are available and the Jeep is very specific about fluid types/specs.
Re the Front Diff/ Transfer case & Rear diff, try and find a shop that can do the drains & re-fills for the right price. It is not that hard to do at home, but having it up on a lift is way easier.
I got a shop that can do everything for $150, I supply parts & fluids and out we go in clean style.
Just as a note the rear diff should be serviced every 25k miles and if you have a trac-lok you need the Mopar 4 oz bottle of limited slip additive.
I got stuff under rear seats and all over, I'm a rescue jeep with way too much gear LoL..
Rene Light bar, not my thing but others will elaborate..

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my trans pan at home not very difficult to do at home all you need is a socket set and a oil catch. Then some new rtv or gasket. As fo storage like tc said under the seat or what i did cause i also have too much stuff in the jeep. I made one of the cargo shelves as per this forum. I have all my gear in old metal tool boxes underneath with my subwoofe and when i go shopping toss the groceries on top. Voids my visibility a little but its like once a week bo bfd.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had my first trans service done at the dealer at 80k, no issues. Just had another one done at the dealer for $220. I would only trust the dealer for coolant and transmission flushes. All the other fluids are pretty easy to DIY.

For storage, I keep a small socket set under the back seat and my winch accessories in a small bag in the back.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Final question for now. Where the heck do you folks store stuff like emergency tools, jumper cables, ect...and not clutter up the back end of your jeep? Having that big back end area makes shopping so much easier, don't wanna loose that space to hauling "essentials" around.

Old Pic it's a little better organized now
You must be registered for see images

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next question.... I seen a Renegade version of the KJ at one time. I got to wondering, is there enough space on the roof so I can mount a Renegade light bar and mount it on the roof and not interfere with the sunroof? I kinda like the idea of making our KJ a "Limited Renegade".

Yep, my Renegade came sunroof equipped. Plenty of room.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's crazy, these shops. One insisting that the transfer case MUST be done at the same time as ******. And another saying I shouldn't touch it at all. I'll look on the door tag to see which trans I have. I really...REALLY wish I had a garage! And I miss my tool set too. Damn thing cost me nearly 1k, sold it for $300 because I was desperate.

Side bar to trans question. It's been a while but I remember reading about different kits like "Stage I", "Stage II". for modifying the trans. I currently do quite a bit of city driving, yet I also would eventually like to buy a small boat, and my wife like the idea of buying and refurbing furniture bought at yard sales so we'd need a small trailer. If I ask a shop to install one of these how can I get the best of both worlds...more torque for hauling, yet be kind to wallet when it comes to filling the tank?

Last edited:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is strange that shops would tell you to not to maintain your vehicle. I have a sunroof on my Renegade and there is lots of clearance.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my first trans service done at the dealer at 80k, no issues. Just had another one done at the dealer for $220. I would only trust the dealer for coolant and transmission flushes. All the other fluids are pretty easy to DIY.

For storage, I keep a small socket set under the back seat and my winch accessories in a small bag in the back.

This.

You can change the fluid and filter yourself, but without a flush machine you won't be getting all of it.

I got my transmission filter changed, and the transmission flushed, at the dealer for about $250. They also did the power steering fluid (flush/fill), which quieted down the pump quite a bit (didn't realize how noisy it was!) for a bit more.

I'd recommend getting it done. I had mine done at 77k and it made a noticeable difference in how the vehicle shifted. It had a fairly hard shift before, seemed like it held onto the gears too long, but now it's nice and smooth.

I don't know anything about a Stage I or Stage II kit, although I imagine there are shift kits out there for it. Honestly, a good cooler is all you really need, as long as the fluid is clean and kept filled. If you have the HD Cooling package, then you already have a cooler, and are good to go. The easiest way to check for the HD Cooling package is to pop the hood. If the engine has a clutch fan, you have HD cooling.

The transfer case, on the other hand, you can do yourself and requires no more than an allen wrench of the right size and some ATF+4. There are two plugs on the back of the case, you remove the top one, then the bottom one, and let it drain out. Then you put the bottom one back in, fill to the top one, and put the top one back in. :)

My jumper cables are in a bag stuck into the 'stretch net' storage on the passenger rear cargo panel. I've got some tools stuck under the passenger rear seat by the jack, and there is a medical kit under the driver's seat.

Last edited:

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For storage, I got a tote with a lid, and a small ratchet strap, put Jumpy cables, and a few other things in it, and used the tie downs in the back to keep it in place. Thought I had a pic, can't find it.
For the trans, I wouldn't spend the money on a flush. Just get the SeaFaom cleaner, run it a couple days, and drop the pan, make sure to change the filter! Some flushes don't even drop the pan, so you don't get a new filter. If you really need to get those last few ounces out, take off the line from the cooler and run it for a few seconds, until you see fresh fluid, or get about a quart,AFTER you replace the pan and fill with new fluid!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Some shops will not do a trans flush/ change on a higher mileage one since people wait till they have issues then think a flush will cure them. Place swaps fluids/ doesn't change transmission then people blame that shop instead of themselves.
Transfer case/ front and rear diffs can be done with very few hand tool and set of jackstands and jack. Use only dino in the diffs
As far as shift kits I have had them in other vehicles , have one for the KJ but never did install it, still in the parts bin.
I have enough tools to do anything but completely rebuild the engine, jumper cables, extra belts, hoses, fluids, idler pulleys , front driveshaft CV repair kit, etc in mine all of the time and can still be a grocery getter :gr_grin:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some shops will not do a trans flush/ change on a higher mileage one since people wait till they have issues then think a flush will cure them. Place swaps fluids/ doesn't change transmission then people blame that shop instead of themselves.
Transfer case/ front and rear diffs can be done with very few hand tool and set of jackstands and jack. Use only dino in the diffs
As far as shift kits I have had them in other vehicles , have one for the KJ but never did install it, still in the parts bin.
I have enough tools to do anything but completely rebuild the engine, jumper cables, extra belts, hoses, fluids, idler pulleys , front driveshaft CV repair kit, etc in mine all of the time and can still be a grocery getter :gr_grin:

Alternator?:sorrysign::sorrysign: couldn't resist. But that wasn't yours.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Alternator?:sorrysign::sorrysign: couldn't resist. But that wasn't yours.

See thats the problem when you have so many KJs sitting here, drive one and something happens and of course spare parts, tools etc are 120 miles from where you are
Stupid Jeeps..............
But this week, two Black lifted KJs and a low down Green one in the driveway

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.