Few Issues - Battery Light, Airbag Light, Speedometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All:

Bought a high mileage 2003 Jeep Liberty recently (actually bought an 02 and an 03 days apart) and am having a few issues with the 2003.

Things had been driving fine for a few weeks till we started having issues with the speedometer. It will be working fine, then go dead, then jump back up and then work fine for a day. Then back to being possessed.

Then over the weekend on a longer trip 3 hours each way, the battery light started coming on. We've had the battery checked since and it and the alternator test fine.

Also, during the same trip the airbag light came on once and the vehicle apparently shook a bit when it did. Then it went out again.

Speedometer wise, I have them looking for frayed wiring near the differential or hand brake cable as reported here in a few threads. What else should they be looking at. The battery light and airbag light is a little concerning...

Last edited:

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sound like a power distro problem to me. As far as the air bag light goes, i received a letter from chrysler group about an airbag recall, not sure if it includes 03 but it does include 02. Says that theres a problem in the airbag system, when the light goes on chances are the airbags will deploy shortly after. You should check your vin on the jeep website.

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did check the vin when I got the car - and that indicated both needed to be serviced for the recall that just happened. I assume that the one you are talking about? Since it went off, I guess it's a good time to take it in to the dealer and mention that ;)

As far as power distro... specifically what to check? I read somewhere that a battery harness could be the problem. What else?

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did check the vin when I got the car - and that indicated both needed to be serviced for the recall that just happened. I assume that the one you are talking about? Since it went off, I guess it's a good time to take it in to the dealer and mention that ;)

As far as power distro... specifically what to check? I read somewhere that a battery harness could be the problem. What else?

Ill need to think about that for a few. It could be computer related along with a number of other things. And with that recall, the letter i got says they dont have the parts to fix it yet and i will receive another letter when it can be done. Might be different in other states.

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill need to think about that for a few. It could be computer related along with a number of other things. And with that recall, the letter i got says they dont have the parts to fix it yet and i will receive another letter when it can be done. Might be different in other states.

Said the same to me, but I have a feeling that the part is in short supply but if the light goes off - it might get there quicker ;)

I was thinking maybe something as simple as the battery wiring harness - or at least that might be a good/relatively inexpensive place to start. Looking on suggestions though as where to start...

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just following up - they came back and said the alternator was indeed bad and there were issues with the speedometer. So, they are fixing as covered under a 45 day 1,250 mile warranty on the used car. Will report back and see if it solves things.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just following up - they came back and said the alternator was indeed bad and there were issues with the speedometer. So, they are fixing as covered under a 45 day 1,250 mile warranty on the used car. Will report back and see if it solves things.
How did they determine the alternator is bad? Since the most common failure in a alternator is in the voltage regulator which is located in the PCM in a KJ and for a '03 it requires the DRBIII to test.

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did they determine the alternator is bad? Since the most common failure in a alternator is in the voltage regulator which is located in the PCM in a KJ and for a '03 it requires the DRBIII to test.

Initially, they told me the battery and alternator were fine and I was thinking battery harness or something but that was the weekend crew. The monday morning crew came in and told me they had found the issues and they were under warranty. Honestly, I didn't ask any more since it was covered. They said they had a trained chrysler/jeep tech in house so I just went with it.

We were about 900 miles into a 1250 mile coverage so I wanted to at least get the issues/repairs on record if it was an ongoing problem.

These guys used to be a Chrysler/Jeep dealer before it got pulled a few years back when they did the same to tons of dealers across the country. Wouldn't suprise me if they have the right scanner.

So are you telling me the problem is going to come back or? :sad72:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The battery light can also be caused by the Battery Temperature Sensor which sits under the battery.....this would normally set a code though...something like P0152 if I remember correctly.

If your new alternator does not fix the problem then report back here for more advice.

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following up - alternator replaced - so far so good. Fault was P1682. So far, no battery lights, airbag lights or speedometer issues...

Latest posts

Members online