Fender height problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if 18 inches from the middle of my hubs to the bottom of my fender is to low. I was wondering because I want to put 245/70/R16 general grabber at2's on it. I have a 2004 Renegade.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was wondering if 18 inches from the middle of my hubs to the bottom of my fender is to low. I was wondering because I want to put 245/70/R16 general grabber at2's on it. I have a 2004 Renegade.

Yes you've sagged over an inch. 245-70s will more than likely rub

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A new suspension. BUT if that isn't in the budget right now. You could do a clevis lift to help out a little. I was at 18.5 when I put on my generals 245/70/16 and I rubbed a bunch until I did a clevis and molded the plastic some.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll be advised against a spacer lift for several reasons.

Your coils are already sacked and the spacer will only exacerbate the problem. Your ride will be terrible after installing the spacers with the shot coils.
Sadly there are no shortcuts when doing this without having more issues.
The clevis adjustment will help short term and not cost anything, but you will need new shocks/coils soon before other suspension and steering parts begin to take a beating.

Read through the FAQs in the Lift threads.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Whats been recommended above is good advice. At 125,000 miles you're at least 50,000 past due. Heck I replaced my suspension first time at 20,000 miles and it ride and handled 50 times better.
But stay away from any type of spacers/ Rustys full spring lift/ Skyjacker and a few more

Look at OME or Ironman advertised at 1.5 inches but give you about 2.25 -2.50

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rustys link he posted says no spaces or blocks, I don't know how much I am sagging but I am sure I'm sagging. But the link he posted, What exactly does that do? Is it a suspension replacement? Sorry I am new to lifts. Also, what is a good lift without needing to change to a SFA? (Sorry to thread jack for a second there)

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good cheap lift that works
What is your idea of cheap? Just asking since "good" and "cheap" generally do not go together when your dealing with lifts.

Plus thinking "SFA" you gotta take that "cheap" and throw it out the window cause it just ain't going to happen.For what I have in my front axle alone,which is not a lot for a built for abuse HP44,you can do a nice 3" lift,re-gear and add F/R ARB's,and buy new tires.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you for the help! I thought that rusty's lift was junk but wanted to see what everybody hear had to say. So it looks like I will need to replace my entire suspension both front and back.

TheZombieNinja3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your idea of cheap? Just asking since "good" and "cheap" generally do not go together when your dealing with lifts.

Plus thinking "SFA" you gotta take that "cheap" and throw it out the window cause it just ain't going to happen.For what I have in my front axle alone,which is not a lot for a built for abuse HP44,you can do a nice 3" lift,re-gear and add F/R ARB's,and buy new tires.

I'm looking to avoid sfa. I want to lift the jeep 2-3 inches effectively for roughly in the area of 1000-1200 without needing to re-gear

Sent from my galaxy S3 using the power of the battery

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to avoid sfa. I want to lift the jeep 2-3 inches effectively for roughly in the area of 1000-1200 without needing to re-gear

Sent from my galaxy S3 using the power of the battery
Either OME or Ironman will be good and add JBA's UCA's for less then $1200.245/75R16's is borderline max tire size before needing to re-gear though 4.10's and 245/75's would be perfect gearing/tire size combo.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With new tires or without? People seem to drive forever with their old suspension around here as long as they don't increase the tire size.