Farmington 2002 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Original Bigfoot

Reaction score
Howdy from Farmington, New Mexico. I've been 4x4's since the 1980's. My first 4x4 was a 1967 Jeep Wagoneer. Since then, I've owned a 1977 Jeep CJ7, and several 1960's models International Scouts.

Currently, my wife and I own a 1966 Jeep Wagoneer, a 1969 Jeep Wagoneer, a 2000 Jeep Wrangler (bought new), and 2002 Jeep Liberty (Bought used, but still with factory warranty when we got it).

We use our 4x4's pretty hard. Vacationing means the Death Valley area, backcountry Nevada, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, or Colorado. We own a backcountry cabin that requires 4x4 to reach for a good part of the year. So off-roading is not really recreation, it's a way of life. I'm used to trail "fixes", having had to go to such extremes as using my winch cable to hold my front axle in place (and then driving over 500 miles to get home to do some welding), removed busted front axleshafts in order to get home in 2 wheel drive, rebuilt carbs on picnic tables in desert campgrounds, etc. etc. We keep a high lift jack, tow straps, and other gear, in the vehicles at all times. Not to mention military MRE's so we don't get hungry if we get stuck and can't get out for a while. Both the Wrangler and Liberty are outfitted with winches and external cargo racks, oversized off-road tires, skid plated out, and the Liberty has rock rails to protect all that low hanging bodywork.

I'll be honest and say the Liberty has been a source of frustration, because ours at least did not appear to be built for heavy off-pavement use. It's never stranded us with a complete breakdown, but plenty of nit-picky stuff has gone wrong that keeps me busy with expensive repairs...from the falling down window glass, to the front-driveshaft exploding, to sensors and such going bad all the time, I hope to be able to replace the stuff with better solutions so it can become as reliable and durable as my Wrangler has been. In short, my wife loves it, but she doesn't have to fix it!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
(welcome)

Post pictures! Of the Wagoneers too... I like them. :)

This site and LOSTJeeps are pretty much the best on the web in terms of help and information for your KJ. Welcome aboard!

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, and it's nice to see some one from the area I grew up in. I'm sure you have heard of Aztec. Nice meeting you. And enjoy the site, there is alot of information on here as well.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

Nice jeeps.

Dave

Original Bigfoot

Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes!

W've got lots of photos of our off-road adventures, I'll just have to dig through and find some with the vehicles in 'em!

I was looking through some photos and just remembered that I also have a 1974 or 1975 Jeep J Pickup parked on our backcountry place...but it was abandoned in the woods for years and someone stole the tailgate and busted all the windows out of it before I pulled it over to my place to keep it from being totally vandalized..it's pretty rough, but I always loved those old Jeep pickups. Don't even know if it runs, but other than what I've mentioned, it's all there. I've been gathering info to get title, so it's a project for down the road.

Original Bigfoot

Reaction score
Welcome, and it's nice to see some one from the area I grew up in. I'm sure you have heard of Aztec. Nice meeting you. And enjoy the site, there is alot of information on here as well.

Howdy! Heck yeah, Aztec is just over Crouch Mesa from my house...about 6-7 miles. My wife was raised here so she's been here 30 years or so. I just moved here in 2002.

What the heck you doin' in New York?