Factory "Sat"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GerardSchlundt

Reaction score
My 06 is factory from a radio perspective.

If I push the "mode" button I can select 'sat' but it appears this used vehicle isn't equipped with a 'sat' module. It does have what appears to be a 'sat' antenna back by the rear hatch. How do I add this functionality? I really want Sirius or XM, I assume this is a Sirius setup since there is a partnership for current models.

Where can I purchase an satellite tuner from some one other than a dealer, or am I better with after market stereo?

I'm not an audiophile, my hearing is shot so I don't want to spend a bunch of money for an after market radio that is likely going to be stolen.

Secondly, is that antenna in back there, or is the puck that is installed simply ornimental to add the option later.

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the same option a few weeks ago and wondered the same. If you have you owner manual, it gives instructions on setup. I may be doing this in the future (not sure yet, wife has it and it is pretty cool).

audio1fx

Reaction score
go on sirius.com and see what they have to go to fact.radio? or call jeep and give your vin# to parts dept.and they can tell you what you need then go on that big auction site and look for the parts

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is also possible you don't need to do anything except call sirius or go to the website and subscribe to the service. What probably happened is that sirius came with your jeep free for one year to the original owner and was not renewed. (you said you had the receiver antenna on the roof)

Dave

GerardSchlundt

Reaction score
Manuals

I found the same option a few weeks ago and wondered the same. If you have you owner manual, it gives instructions on setup. I may be doing this in the future (not sure yet, wife has it and it is pretty cool).

Yeh, once you've had satellite radio its pretty addictive. I love music that you just can't get on the radio, also on long road trips its great to be able to listen to syndicated radio programs without having to go on the great channel search ever hundred miles or so.

I do have the manual, but it is more than a little vague. Unless I am looking at the wrong place. Is there a supplementary manual for additional features?

GerardSchlundt

Reaction score
It is also possible you don't need to do anything except call sirius or go to the website and subscribe to the service. What probably happened is that sirius came with your jeep free for one year to the original owner and was not renewed. (you said you had the receiver antenna on the roof)

Dave

Dave, I did a little searching and found that Sirius needs to known the ESN and the radio type to active ate. It looks like ESN can be gotten by holding the cd eject button while the key is in accessory or some crazy sequence like that, but I have no idea what model radio it is.

Do you know of a reference that shows how to idenfiy what radio it is? EBQ..etc.

Its used -- obviously a very very high likelyhood the radio is factory....but being one those particularly detail oriented types its also possible it was changed out :)

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The hardware is standard on 2006+ models if ThunderbirdJunkie recalls correctly.

Unfortunately the sound quality of the OEM hardware leaves a LOT to be desired. If you really want XM or Sirius, ThunderbirdJunkie would heartily recommend buying an aftermarket head unit and an aftermarket tuner. The sound quality is just SOOOOOOOOO much better.

GerardSchlundt

Reaction score
Sound

The hardware is standard on 2006+ models if ThunderbirdJunkie recalls correctly.

Unfortunately the sound quality of the OEM hardware leaves a LOT to be desired. If you really want XM or Sirius, ThunderbirdJunkie would heartily recommend buying an aftermarket head unit and an aftermarket tuner. The sound quality is just SOOOOOOOOO much better.

Thanks for the opinion, but big daddy G can't hear for |>~€,+}£ anyway, so OEM probably exceeds my ability to differentiate.

Besides that I like 1940s, and talk - and the recordings aren't that good :)

GerardSchlundt

Reaction score
I found in the manual how to retrieve the EIN -- page 201 -- got that, went online and was activated in about 10 minutes. Guess I don't trust other people to read the manual while I'm fiddling with the radio :)

Its interesting that they aren't blasting a 'demo' channel to sell the features of the service -- shows to go ya, dead air doesn't sell.

You're right, the sound quality isn't the greatest...but in general, thats my experience anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found in the manual how to retrieve the EIN -- page 201 -- got that, went online and was activated in about 10 minutes. Guess I don't trust other people to read the manual while I'm fiddling with the radio :)

Its interesting that they aren't blasting a 'demo' channel to sell the features of the service -- shows to go ya, dead air doesn't sell.

You're right, the sound quality isn't the greatest...but in general, thats my experience anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Now that it's activated, if you end up getting a different head unit and sat. unit all you'll have to do is call up Sirius and have it transfered to the new sat. unit.

GerardSchlundt

Reaction score
Now that it's activated, if you end up getting a different head unit and sat. unit all you'll have to do is call up Sirius and have it transfered to the new sat. unit.

Yup. But seriously (rim shot) I doubt I'll do that -- its one more thing to steal, and my hearing is shot. So it really doesn't mater that much.

There was some one else in the thread asking about this, it was easy. Just put the key into accessory position, press the eject and button along with am/fm or mode -- I can't remember which. Its the 'down' button on the left side of the display. It will present a 12 digit number, thats the EIN.

Call or get on the web to sirius and they will need the VIN, the EIN, and a credit card. Activation too all of 5 minutes.

I am still AMAZED that every radio, even those that aren't subscribed, don't get a generic channel that does nothing but assist in activating the radios. If I had that, I would have activated mine 2 months ago. <shrug>