Extra plastic crap on roof rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my roof rack on my 03 Rene has that extra black plastic crap on it and I'd really like to remove it. I tried to do a search on how to do so on these forums but couldn't find anything really useful.

I want to remove the extra black plastic pieces from my rack but my questions that I have are:

1) Are there any skinny metal pieces under that plastic like I see on some Libbys? I'd rather have that or nothing at all than the plastic.

2) Are there adverse effects to doing this?

3) Can anyone show me explain the process and/or provide some type of document I can follow when I go about doing so?

Looking at my plastic eye sore everyday is tempting me to the point of going under low clearance areas in the hopes of cracking it to give me a reason to get it off, but I'm trying to avoid going that far :)

When I do it, I'd be more than happy to post a how-to!

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I look at mine when I get home, I do believe there are 2-4 screws on each side that clamp it to your rails(probably torx bit)... i'll get back to ya on that...

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there a posted link to the .pdf in the how-to section a while back on how to install the Rene roof rack kit? That would give you some good info how it fastens on. I will do a little searching on here and see if i can find it.

smcbride11

Reaction score
There are 4 T-15 (I think it's 15, they might be T-20) screws, one on each corner that clamp the plastic basket on to the roof rack. You'll be left with bars running the length of the car (so you'd need to purchase aftermarket crossbars for a roof box, for instance.

I took mine off about 5 years ago, and it gained me about 2 mpg and quieted the cabin a bit. There's no negative effect at all, it's just a cargo basket.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll have to get up on my roof when the weather gets warmer and ice stops falling from the sky.

budke - if you want to pay shipping, you can have it for free if you want.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
That is definitely the right price point ... eh Budke? :D

I was going to congratulate CFrog for getting another set of those things off the road ...but if yur just gonna put it on yours then ... well...

:D

Latest posts

Members online