Exhaust help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by dumping it off, but I bought it on ebay. Aero Turbine has a website if you google it. To install it we just sawed off the old muffler and stuck the new one in the middle with a piece of pipe and some clamps. Sounds good even with the stock tailpipe on there (mostly because I didn't have the money for another xD)

You must be registered for see images

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you guys clamp the muffler on instead of welding it? You mean you don't have welder in your garage? :D

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ROHO, I just spent $32 on a Thrush Turbo Welded muffler (Flowmaster style) and I absolutely hate it. I knew turbo mufflers sounded dumb on six cylinders...but I forced myself to try it and I figured since all these guys were doing it that it couldn't sound that bad. Wrong.

I proved myself right, it's that bad. Sounds awful except at idle. At idle it actually sounds cool. After that, not so much.

All I'm saying is think twice before you drop ANY money on anything louder than stock. I don't care if you're doing it for sound or performance or both. It ain't worth it. And these guys will argue with me all day long about that...it's just my opinion. And apparently most people on here haven't owned a V8 with Flowmasters and don't know what Flowmasters are supposed to sound like. [Disclaimer: No offense to anyone here but if you think this motor sounds good with anything but a stock muffler I feel bad for your lack of experience in the world of V8 powered automobiles.]

Also, wanna buy a used Thrush Welded Turbo muffler cheap?

Last edited:
Reaction score
get the super 44 stainless steel. i have a 44 and i get copliments all the time. i wouldnt change it except to get the stainless one

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ROHO, I just spent $32 on a Thrush Turbo Welded muffler (Flowmaster style) and I absolutely hate it. I knew turbo mufflers sounded dumb on six cylinders...but I forced myself to try it and I figured since all these guys were doing it that it couldn't sound that bad. Wrong.

I proved myself right, it's that bad. Sounds awful except at idle. At idle it actually sounds cool. After that, not so much.

All I'm saying is think twice before you drop ANY money on anything louder than stock. It ain't worth it. And these guys will argue with me all day long about that...it's just my opinion. And apparently most people on here haven't owned a V8 with Flowmasters and don't know what Flowmasters are supposed to sound like. [Disclaimer: No offense to anyone here but if you think this motor sounds good with anything but a stock muffler I feel bad for your lack of experience in the world of powerful automobiles.]

Also, wanna buy a used Thrush Welded Turbo muffler cheap?
That's odd since the Thrush muffler I had on sounded dang good,no V8 but pretty darn close.I now run a MagnaFlow Ultra Race muffler and it sounds better then a flowmaster.Oh and I have had flowmasters on very healthy V8's before and found the sound was rather crappy compared to the MagnaFlow's.The best sound was a healthy V8 with just long tube,un-equal length headers only.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah tjkj, I actually got the idea to try the Thrush by reading your posts about yours. I just don't like it. To each his own. And to me, a massaged Chevy 350 sounds better hooked to Flowmaster 40's than with open headers (although open headers do rock). Again, agree to disagree!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah tjkj, I actually got the idea to try the Thrush by reading your posts about yours. I just don't like it. To each his own. And to me, a massaged Chevy 350 sounds better hooked to Flowmaster 40's than with open headers (although open headers do rock). Again, agree to disagree!
Yeah I've just never really liked the whole flowmaster idea,they are really more restrictive then you are lead to believe.Oh and that's your whole problem since no SBC ever sounds(or performs) that great to begin with,big blocks are they way young grasshopper:D.My buddies '70 Demon with a 640cu in Wedge motor sounds real good with 2 7/8" primary's to 5" dumps right into a 5" Ultra Race muffler:D(900 HP at the wheels and 1250lbs-ft or torque,1400hp/1500lbs-ft of torque on the 3rd stage of NOS and built to run pump gas).

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's odd since the Thrush muffler I had on sounded dang good,no V8 but pretty darn close.I now run a MagnaFlow Ultra Race muffler and it sounds better then a flowmaster.Oh and I have had flowmasters on very healthy V8's before and found the sound was rather crappy compared to the MagnaFlow's.The best sound was a healthy V8 with just long tube,un-equal length headers only.

Yeah...a 6 isn't no Hemi!!!

But don't want mine to sound like a ricer....:D

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've just never really liked the whole flowmaster idea,they are really more restrictive then you are lead to believe.Oh and that's your whole problem since no SBC ever sounds(or performs) that great to begin with,big blocks are they way young grasshopper:D.My buddies '70 Demon with a 640cu in Wedge motor sounds real good with 2 7/8" primary's to 5" dumps right into a 5" Ultra Race muffler:D(900 HP at the wheels and 1250lbs-ft or torque,1400hp/1500lbs-ft of torque on the 3rd stage of NOS and built to run pump gas).

I agree about the SBC just not sounding that good. A Mopar engine has a nicer resonance to it even though the firing order is the same. A Ford engine sounds pretty good too, usually a higher pitch to it, I am guessing because of the different firing order. I'd like to change the exhaust on my Jeep eventually, I want something just a little bit louder than what it is. The "Sport" muffler sounds pretty good to me, just a little too quiet.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flowmaster 50 SUV series, drone is minimum, it adds nice sound to it, nothing extremely loud, but it puts out a very nice low rumble when you get the rpm just right, generally on get go around 3k rpm. It does not bother inside at all. Others get too loud inside, after a while gives you headache..

Yes, yours sounds good at idle in the parking lot at "grandma's" that day we were jockying the jeeps around to take pictures after the Tower of Power trip.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, yours sounds good at idle in the parking lot at "grandma's" that day we were jockying the jeeps around to take pictures after the Tower of Power trip.

Dave

Oh yeah, granma's pies. :) We should do that again sometime.

ROHO

Reaction score
Prospect62, i sent you a PM.

Thanks for all the help everyone, ah there's just so many choices and mixed opinions. Im not sure of what i would want. I just want to make sure, it does not sound like a ricer no matter what the RPM is, haha.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a video of this Thrush Turbo muffler? I did a Youtube search and came up empty. I was considering a Flowmaster but I would like to hear this Thrush everyone was talking about.

ROHO

Reaction score
Does anyone have a video of this Thrush Turbo muffler? I did a Youtube search and came up empty. I was considering a Flowmaster but I would like to hear this Thrush everyone was talking about.

That's what im leaning towards also, i would just like to hear it.

Dave08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To all that're interest..
Had mine for a year and some. I don't buy the extra MPG with the aeroturbine, least it didn't help mine. Hurt my low RPM, made >2500 rpm better though. Sound at idle is good, however with rpm it looses it.

Cheapest place to buy at the time http://www.parleysdieselperformance.com/

I happen to like the cackle it'll give when letting off under high rpms.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno, imo the Aero still sounds deep when driving at higher RPMs, and it definitely helped my mpg, seeing as I never hit more than 22 before it...but obviously the sound is more important than that, it was just another plus. Supposedly there's less backdraft or something? I can't think of the term, but my uncle was explaining it to me. I'll have to have someone videotape me driving by at high RPMs for sound judging purposes =D

Dave08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Backpressure... reduce it and reduce low end ...

It depends if you're WOT or near... then it's LOUD, maybe deep depending on load. However it's not a v8 rumble. If you're 3K+ rpm but little load.. aka overdrive off it's , well as Jeepster put it kinda Infinity sounding. Good Analogy Blake

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Infinity as in the FX and/or G series vehicles? Those have a really aggressive sound to the V6's. I would do flips if my KJ sounded like that.