EVIC pressure sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trip

Reaction score
If you change the wheels on a KJ with tire pressure sensors, can you easily convert the new setup to function like the factory installed wheels?....Ive never seen how this type system works, if there is a info page about how this is "wired" to a rotating wheel..I would like to see it...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you would have to buy the tire pressure sensors and install them on the new rims for the system to work. I'm not sure if you can carefully take them off the current rims and install them on the new rims and have them work. I guess they should. I was thinking about this also as I have the dredded 17" rims that I can't seem to find a decent A/T tire to fit. The spare works with the system also so if you change wheel size and/or tire size and put a matching spare and rim on you will need to take care of that one also. If you just didn't put them in I would imagine the system would go crazy unless you could figure out how to disable it. But I wouldn't want to do that.

Of course, if you had $$$ you could just go out and get 5 new rims and tires and new pressure sensors for the new rims and you would be fine.

If anyone has done this maby they will chime in.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
system will say pressure sensor missing/bad data for the spare, and after a while probably will let go?

Trip

Reaction score
so are these transmitters powered....Im assuming that you have to service them and change out a battery eventually....
so how are they installed, do you have to drill into your wheel or do they stick to the inside of the rim.......I really like this feature, and would not want to lose it.........has anyone successfully done this switch?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trip said:
so are these transmitters powered....Im assuming that you have to service them and change out a battery eventually....
so how are they installed, do you have to drill into your wheel or do they stick to the inside of the rim.......I really like this feature, and would not want to lose it.........has anyone successfully done this switch?

Ive heard of people doing the switch no problem.. No, there are no batteries that need to be replaced. Not to sure how it works with no batteries? The sensor takes place of the valve stem and no modification needs to be done to the new rim.

You can buy four off ebay for around $50 bucks.. nothing to bad. I think ill buy some for my offroad tires b/c I also love this feature..

Beetlemn73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turn off Spare Warning

I put in an EVIC and I just got the sensors. Did a quick check with a magnet and it looks for my spare. I did not buy a spare sender. Can the spare bit be turned off ?? I know the dealer can turn it on. I'm looking for the procedure if anyone knows it. I have a DBS III tool.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Turn off Spare Warning

Beetlemn73 said:
I put in an EVIC and I just got the sensors. Did a quick check with a magnet and it looks for my spare. I did not buy a spare sender. Can the spare bit be turned off ?? I know the dealer can turn it on. I'm looking for the procedure if anyone knows it. I have a DBS III tool.

I do not believe you can turn the spare off. maybe you can order one sensor from the dealer or something? it will probably cost alot though..

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could go to the dealer (gulp) and at least price a new sensor and see how much they want for installation just to get an idea.

I would think if you could get just one on ebay you could take it to any garage and get it installed and that would probably be the cheepest way out???

Unless you could find a spare with the right tire and rim in a junkyard (needle in a haystack) off of a kj with the tps.

I have one more idea but I wouldn't suggest it or do it myself as it is not right.

I'm out of ideas now - - I have a brain cramp.

Beetlemn73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:
You could go to the dealer (gulp) and at least price a new sensor and see how much they want for installation just to get an idea.

Dealer price is $57.00. I got the others for $40.00 Be doing the install tomorrow PM with my son(he's a mechanic.) eBay has 2 sensor that would work. I think it ends in a day or so. We'll se if we can make this 5 into a 4. :-k

Beetlemn73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Got the new sensors in and couldn't out smart the BCM, because my son's DBR III was not up to date with '06, SO he get's a discount on dealer parts, so going to get the sensor for the spare and call it a day.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have the TPS but I was wondering. Does each KJ use a unique frequency since they are wireless? Or if you parked two next to each other would they start picking up each other's tires?