Evic power source

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wvhylander

Reaction score
I'm installing my evic 03 liberty. I'd like avoid cutting the ob2 wires if possible I know voilet/yellow must go there, the live and the switched can come from the fuse panel. Any reason I can'tell pull a ground from someplace else? Thanks VT

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably easier to splice it all in the same location rather than multiple locations.
I dont think it would be an issue if it's just for power.

Wvhylander

Reaction score
When the wires come down the a pillar the fuse box is right there. I can drop the 2 hots there probably pick up a ground there also. Then only one wire to the osb port. I'm curios if a common ground is OK, or if the ground at the osb port is computer specific and is the better choice to ground the evic. Thanks

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can always just do an ohm test or measure for a voltage different.

I doubt they would have floated the ground on the obd port.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A ground is a ground.

I used the Dorman (86421) 16-14 Gauge Splice Tap Terminal and spliced in right behind the OSB port. Just remove the bottom dash panel under the steering wheel and the 2 screws that hold the port in place to give yourself a little more maneuvering room and separate the wires further back as needed to install the taps. I then grabbed the switchable hot off of the power port or cigarette lighter. Forget which one was accessory only. If I hadn't already pulled the dash panel numerous times during my double DIN stereo install I might have grabbed the switchable hot elsewhere.

I really liked having the ability to plug and unplug my connections and not having to cut any wires. I normally prefer to solder and shrink wrap, but that wasn't something I wanted to do in the tight space right behind the OSB.

Another benefit to using these taps was the ability to test the EVIC functionality while it was just sitting on the passenger seat. I found the 4 wire trailer wire perfect for the connections. I liked that all 4 wires were connected together, color coded and flat. I did my test with a longer piece of the wire than really needed. I then cut the male ends off before routing the wire across the headliner, down the pillar and under the steering wheel to the OSB. I replaced the male ends I cut off with similar ends from the local hardware store.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull down the obd2 connector and just splice it there. It'll be fine. I did it myself

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk