Epic front end failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not a casting issue from the pics looks the same as the others I have seen. It doesn't take much to crack one, just the right of pressure/torque at the right time is all then boom, can happen on a small climb if you are not careful.
I've seen some do some crazy bouncing before going over rocka and no problems , but it just takes that one time!
Thats why I have two extra spares in my garage both loaded and ready to go!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Then this is a common casting issue, there is another person here that the same thing happened.

tjkj2002, yeah, you have a DDT locker? Yeah, you won't get the wheel spin with one wheel up like you would with the stock OPEN diff. So, your diff survived because you have the locker, as that's how they are supposed to work, right? Someone else here had the same thing happen to them, so, it's not an isolated incident. I then should have said "Are the stock front diffs really this weak." Ok?

NCJeepin: This can (and apparently does) happen any time you raise one front wheel and it spins. When it comes down and grips the pavement, that's when the shock occurs, and causes the torque to shift to inside the diff, causing the pinion gear to "walk" as they say. This is not the first time this has happened with stock front OPEN differential. Your 2005 doesn't have the ESP system...

Um, it's happened in front ends with Detroit TruTracs and collars both, and also, a couple guys have blown up the front diffs in their 06-7 KJs.

At any rate...a rear locker could have theoretically saved his front diff, too.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I watch Extreme 4x4 every weekend, and the lockers are supposed to prevent that from happening. Also, they showed how to weld the spider gear to make a permanent locker for rock climbers; though, that is an OLD practice, it works great...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watch Extreme 4x4 every weekend, and the lockers are supposed to prevent that from happening. Also, they showed how to weld the spider gear to make a permanent locker for rock climbers; though, that is an OLD practice, it works great...
I watched a guy with a Ram2500 with the 5.9 blow apart a D80 rear end,litterly ripped the pinion nose off the housing.

Point is everything can and will break with the proper application of torque and a good shock load.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched a guy with a Ram2500 with the 5.9 blow apart a D80 rear end,litterly ripped the pinion nose off the housing.

Point is everything can and will break with the proper application of torque and a good shock load.

That's why I try to have a spotter in sticky spots. They can see what the driver can't.

Latest posts

Members online